New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Max operating system.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Misfits-138

Misfits-138 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 1.66Ghz CPU, 2Gb ram, 80 Gb HDD, 10.6

Hi there, Hopefuly I'm posting in the correct part of the forum. I'm considering buying a Mac G4 tower, and I was just wondering what the maximum operationg system it could handle.

The spec of the mac is Mac G4 Tower, 2GHz power PC, 1.5Gb ram, 170Gb HD.

Thanks in advanced

cheers,
Si
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfits-138 View Post
Hi there, Hopefuly I'm posting in the correct part of the forum. I'm considering buying a Mac G4 tower, and I was just wondering what the maximum operationg system it could handle.

The spec of the mac is Mac G4 Tower, 2GHz power PC, 1.5Gb ram, 170Gb HD.
Unless this "Mac G4 Tower" has had some sort of processor upgrade...Apple never made a "Mac G4 Tower" with a 2ghz cpu. Do you possibly mean a Powermac G5?

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Misfits-138

It's definitely a G4 tower, It may have had an upgrade she hasn't said. I'll ask her.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

2GHz native are G5 and as Nick says the only way to get a 2GHz G4 is with a third party CPU upgrade such as PowerLogix.

Regardless if the 2GHz is correct, it will run OS X.5 Leopard as the final operating system. Available from auction sites such as eBay but make sure you purchase a full retail instalL DVD which is black and NOT one of the silver grey model specific discs as this will never install.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's definitely a G4 tower, It may have had an upgrade she hasn't said. I'll ask her.
The fastest stock configuration "G4 Tower" (more properly/commonly called a Powermac G4)...was a 1.42ghz version.

There were aftermarket cpu upgrade cards...but these were very expensive...and not many folks bought them. I think that a 1.6ghz and 1.8ghz were common speeds for the upgrade cards...I don't remember if there was a 2.0ghz card.

In any case (Powermac G4 or Powermac G5)...as long as the cpu is faster than 867mhz...it can be upgraded to OS 10.5.8 (assuming the minimum ram requirements are met as well).

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Misfits-138

The other minimum requirements are met, so it looks like a good deal as I found out that there were 3rd party 2Ghz upgrades as Harryb2448 said.

Thank you everyone
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
The other minimum requirements are met, so it looks like a good deal as I found out that there were 3rd party 2Ghz upgrades as Harryb2448 said.
Maybe there were 2ghz upgrades for Powermac G4's...but I'm not sure you verified if this particular Powermac G4 you're considering actually has this upgrade installed (at least it doesn't sound like it from your last post).

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Misfits-138

Whilst talking to her earlier she sent me a message stating that it has got a 2Ghz Processor installed and running. I'm going to take a look at it next week and find out what it is running, hoping she hasn't just rounded up lol
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Whilst talking to her earlier she sent me a message stating that it has got a 2Ghz Processor installed and running. I'm going to take a look at it next week and find out what it is running, hoping she hasn't just rounded up lol
I see!

Things must move pretty slowly where you're from. If something like this computer was available in my area (at a decent price)...it wouldn't last until next week!

Yes...and like you said. Hopefully the seller isn't rounding 1.8ghz up to 2.0ghz.

Good luck,

- Nick

p.s. By the way...if you happen to have a photo of this computer (from the for sale post or elsewhere)...or can get one from the seller...we could probably clear any model confusion up very quickly.

QUOTE Thanks
Misfits-138

Here is the add on facebook. Photos of CAMBORNE, REDRUTH, POOL, ILLOGAN AND SURROUNDING AREAS ...... Buy and Sale | Facebook
Hopefully that link works.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Yupp...if the computer in question is the same one pictured on the box...than that is definitely a Powermac G4.

In fact it is known as a "Quicksilver" Powermac G4...and depending on the exact model it is/was...could originally have had anywhere from a 733mhz cpu up to a 1.0ghz dual-processor (there were 6 different Quicksilver models over a 1-2 year period).

Again good luck,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Misfits-138

Well I finally got a Mac G4 tower, not the one i listed here, but an upgraded Quicksilver. 2Gig processor, 1.5 gig RAM and 170 Gig hdd. currently running 10.4.11, but will be upgrading to leopard. Thank you for your help guys.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Connecting my Macbook Pro to my TV | Parental SW to limit actual activity time? »