New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

imac g5 white screen with bootable os installed on drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jelder09

jelder09 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook pro 2.33 i5

Ok so i have a imac g5 with a 1.8 ghz processor that works fine. But i bought a 2.1 iMac with isight that needed a drive. So i pulled the drive from the 1.8 and put it in the 2.1 which without the drive had the blinking folder. But now with the drive its only white screening. Ive done all the resets checked all my connections (multiple times) and yet still white screen. So question is do i need to wipe the drive and start over or from these symptoms does anyone have experience. My thought would be if it would boot the 1.8 that it would boot the 2.1.
QUOTE Thanks
jelder09

Also can get it to boot from a ibook i have but the fans run constantly. I am missing the mount for the hd with the connection on the side any ideas if this could be white screen problem thought it only measured tempature? Kinda at a loss right now

Three can keep a secret if two are dead
QUOTE Thanks
jelder09

Anybody got anything? Replaced data cable drive is spinning. all my other computers recognize drive but this iMac will not see it and when it is hooked sometimes flashing folder sometimes white screen tried to run os install iMac couldn't find the drive ANY SUGGESTIONS would be great. It had a os on it i wiped it partioned it and formatted with apple partition map still can't see it when i put in leopard disk

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

An iMac 2.1 is a 1999 400Mhz model G3 ~ sure you mean that?

If it is a later model that the G5 may not be able to boot from an older operating system. Helps if you provide the OS.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
jelder09

when i say 2.1 i mean processor its the late 2005 iMac 20 inch

QUOTE Thanks
jelder09

guess even the community is stumped i sure am

QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

I doubt that you can use a drive pulled from one modern (last 8-10 yrs) Mac to another and get it to boot. OS X uses kernel extensions (.kext) as motherboard-specific drivers, with different versions of .kexts for each motherboard.
QUOTE Thanks
jelder09

i reformatted the drive to no avail. Pulled logic board and found a few bulging capacitors gonna change them out and last resort is the sata controller

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelder09 View Post
i reformatted the drive to no avail. Pulled logic board and found a few bulging capacitors gonna change them out and last resort is the sata controller
Awesome...I love to hear folks doing their own DIY work like this!!!

Good Luck,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Desktop | Help with Lion upgrade, abstracted desktop »