New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

MBP 17" wont install Snow Leopard while downgrading from LION

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iamtherena

iamtherena is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I have a Macbook Pro 17" i5 2.53ghz....which I bought from someone (I do not have the original cds/dvds). As this was my first Mac I thought to keepit updated with the latest OSX and I installed Lion. Only later I realized that Superdrive had an outdated firmware version(it kept ejecting all dvds) and I wanted to fix it....and when I tried doing that...got an error saying tha Lion does not support Power Pc apps...whatever that is...I have no idea....So in order to fix my Dvd drive (which has been only ejecting DVDs) I tried to install SNow Leopard...I tried with the Retail copy of Snow Leopard 10.6...but it gets stuck on apple logo without the gears moving. Then I tried with the retail copy of Snow Leopard 10.6.7 and I was able to boot up...but got an error that this OSX cannot be installed on the device (I thought that was due the recovery HD present in Lion) so I formatted my HDD and now it still says I cannot install the OSX from the retail cd. Please help as I cannot find the exact Dvd for my MBP.

According to apple it supports :

MacBook Pro (17-inch, Mid 2010) Apr 2010 10.6.3 to 10.6.4 BUILDS =10D2063a, 10D2094, 10D2101a, 10F2108

where can I find these DVDs? or fix my MBP. Please Help.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The retail version of Snow Leopard will not install on that machine because it does not contain the proper drivers. You will need to contact Apple customer support, give them your exact model number, and ask for the original Snow Leopard install DVD set for your machine. Otherwise you will have to install and use Lion.

Also your statement about the DVD drive having an outdated firmware version makes no sense. If the DVD drive is ejecting disks, then either the disks are bad or the drive is having problems. Regardless of firmware revision, it should read and write to the disks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Leopard to Lion and only one small problem | Mac os x »