New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

ripping cd's to external hard drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Chilts

Chilts is on a distinguished road

Hello all

I've tried searching but can't locate a similar thread so sorry if you've seen this before...

I want to rip CD's directly to an external hard drive connected by USB. Each tim e I try it fails the Mac will only allow me to rip to the machine's own hard drive. I've ended up ripping on a PC and then reconnecting the HDD to the MAc and importing into i tunes to play.....this all seems overly complicated. I did ask at my local store and they said the HDD needs to have a copy of i tunes on it first and to do that drag it from the dock onto the HDD, I tried this and all that happened was that i tunes was removed from the dock.

Any suggestions?

regards
Chilts
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilts View Post
Hello all

I've tried searching but can't locate a similar thread so sorry if you've seen this before...

I want to rip CD's directly to an external hard drive connected by USB. Each tim e I try it fails the Mac will only allow me to rip to the machine's own hard drive. I've ended up ripping on a PC and then reconnecting the HDD to the MAc and importing into i tunes to play.....this all seems overly complicated. I did ask at my local store and they said the HDD needs to have a copy of i tunes on it first and to do that drag it from the dock onto the HDD, I tried this and all that happened was that i tunes was removed from the dock.
Just use X Lossless Decoder. It's one of the best, if not THE best of its class.
X Lossless Decoder: Lossless audio decoder for Mac OS X
QUOTE Thanks
Chilts

thanks for the advice. sadly that has not helped I installed Lossless Audio Decoder and tried but get a message that says the Ext HDD is not writable. It writes OK from my PC but I want to leave it connected to the mac and rip direct via that. Anyone else with any ideas please?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

How is that external HDD formatted? Sounds like it's NTFS, which means yes, the drive can't be written to by any OS X app. Not without a 3rd party driver.
QUOTE Thanks
Chilts

OK thanks, sadly I don't know how to tell how it's formatted....can you help?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Open Disk Utility. Select the partition on the drive. Down at the bottom, it will tell you.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Chilts

I think you've nailed it! It's format is NTFS, can it be reformatted? If problematic I'm not against buying another HDD I can still use this one elsewhere...the only question would be transferring the music and photos on it to the new disk.
rgds
Mark
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

This article might be helpful. Check out the Anyone Got An Eraser section ATPM 17.05 - How To: Using the Free Disk Utility on Your Mac. If there is anything you want to keep on the drive copy that to another drive first. Formatting the drive will erase everything on it.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Chilts

great, thanks for the pointer.....but would I be able to hook up a new Mac formatted HDD and then copy the original HDD contents straight to it if both were connected to the Mac?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

That should work fine. The Mac should have no trouble reading the NTFS drive.

QUOTE Thanks
Chilts

thanks again. It plays music on it so clearly can read from it, I just can't write to it, I'll buy another HDD and copy stuff over. Many thanks to you and lifeisabeach for your knowledge.

Chilts
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

You don't have to buy a Mac-formatted drive. You can simply reformat the existing one, though you'll need to first backup anything on it. Also be aware that, if you are sharing that drive with a PC, Windows cannot read or write to Mac-formatted drives without 3rd party drivers.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

You're welcome

There is a Terminal command that enables writing to NTFS drives and there is also some third party software for this as well if a new hard drive isn't in the budget. I'll have to leave discussion of those options to others.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Unusual Problem Since Upgrading | Can I bootcamp a restore disk? Please Help. »