New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Can time machine be used in server environment?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SeanL

SeanL is on a distinguished road

Hi, I am getting an iMac soon that will be running in our small office windows server environment. We have the newest server software, Server 2008, I believe. We already back up all the local computers to the server and cloud but can I use Time Machine to view my backups on the server?
I am the owner so permissions etc aren't an issue.
TIA!
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

No.

W2K8 server will not interface with Time Machine at all.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

I'm not really sure what the question is, but it seems unlikely that Time Machine would be able to view or manipular backups of a different operating system, created by a different application using a different file format without some serious coding. What are you using specifically to backup now, and to what type of format?

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
SeanL

I just wanted to use the time machine interface to retrieve any accidentally deleted files but it doesn't seem to be possible. Thanks for the replies.
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

Windows Servers have had what are called Shadow Copies for a long long time.

I would ensure that Shadow Copies are enabled on the volume that contains the data you'd like protected.

Shadow Copies are similar to Versions on OS X Lion and unlike Time Machine in that they live on the same volume as the data.

When Shadow Copy is enabled on a volume you will see the Previous Versions tab when getting properties of a folder. The previous version will allow you to restore the folder or files to a previous time, say from accidental deletion. The default Shadow Copy schedule is 7:00 AM and 12:00 PM.

As a note to all, this is not enabled by default, but should always be turned on IMHO for all Windows file servers.
QUOTE Thanks
SeanL

Didnt know about the shadow copies, thx!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Huge page outs memory problem! | Why /etc/hosts is always automatically changed back? »