New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Reformatting

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

botle

botle is on a distinguished road

How does it work with Mac, i know on a PC to reformat your hard drive, often solves a machine whose performance is slowing down?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by botle View Post
How does it work with Mac, i know on a PC to reformat your hard drive, often solves a machine whose performance is slowing down?
Disk Utility is what you use to format a drive. However… reinstalling OS X to address a performance problem (real or perceived) is very very very very rarely necessary. This isn't Windows. There are more effective ways to address issues in OS X.
QUOTE Thanks
botle

botle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
Disk Utility is what you use to format a drive. However… reinstalling OS X to address a performance problem (real or perceived) is very very very very rarely necessary. This isn't Windows. There are more effective ways to address issues in OS X.
Thanks for the reply. What do you suggest i do when i experience my machine operating slower. I have installed the Mackeeper software, my machine is 3 years old.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

MacKeeper is junk ware. Uninstall it before it gets you in trouble. Download and install the free OnyX software. Run it automatic mode.
QUOTE Thanks
france_54

france_54 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 6GB 800MHz Ram, 1Tb, OSX 10.5.8

Tech Tool Pro is worth a shout whether you pay out for it or are one of those naughty downloads
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by botle View Post
Thanks for the reply. What do you suggest i do when i experience my machine operating slower. I have installed the Mackeeper software, my machine is 3 years old.
As has already been said, get rid of MacKeeper. THAT is the problem with your system. If you do a search through this forum, you'll see the great disdain we all have for that piece of junk. They have spammed this forum with faked praise for the software. The internet is littered with infomercial-like websites offering up faked reviews. They have a full-time "evangelist" who actively combats anything negative said about the software.

Getting completely rid of it is a bit tricky. Check these instructions:
how to uninstall MacKeeper « Phil Stokes

As for what to use… Onyx is the top recommended app for occasional maintenance and cleaning. I also like TinkerTool System. It's not free but is reasonably priced and does an exceptional job of explaining its tasks. It even has a couple tricks up its sleeves that aren't easily found, and has an Uninstallation Assistant that is the best of any I've seen. It's also the only app of this class that I would pay money for.

The suggestion for TechTool Pro is a bit odd. It's not a tool for maintaining OS X. It's a disk maintenance tool and hardware testing tool, and is quite good at what it does, but it doesn't do what Onyx and other tools of that class do. It's something to use if you suspect a disk or hardware failure.

Beyond this, any further recommendations would depend on what specific problems you are having. Fully remove MacKeeper per the instructions above, then reboot and run Onyx's full suite of maintenance and cleaning tools. After that, see how things are.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

+1 for TinkerTool. It's a great app not only for cleaning things up but also for options and settings that are not apparent.

Here's the TinkerTool FAQ.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Desktop icon location | incorrect number of thread records & cant erase disk »