Desktop icon location

Specs:
    Mac quad 8, Os X.8.5 6gig ram for now
    Desktop icon location
    Used to be in this same version of x.4.1.1 I could count on my HDs being in the upper right corner when I boot. They showed up there today for the first time in a very long time. Is there an app or widget that will ask the boot software to keep the icons in a certain place. I never got into scripting.

Now if I use that clean up choice from the view menu in the finder I get very different results and the drives can show up anywere. I don't keep my desktop perfectly clean. There are probably twenty icons there right now. Are the icons a the problem? OR...? Many thanks

Ron

Desktop icon location
    Specs:
    Mac Mini Core 2 Duo
    The HD icon should always be in the upper right. If it's not, there's a problem. It doesn't take an app to make it do that. Having 20 icons on your Desktop is not causing the problem. I suspect a corrupt finder.plist file may be the culprit.

should be in your Home folder /Library/Preferences

com.apple.finder.plist

Drag that file to your Desktop.
    Restart the computer.
    This will create a new, default plist file to replace the one you moved.
    Now how does it behave?

Desktop icon location

Specs:
    That is a very impressive answer. I didn't expect that level of help. Thank you very much. Thing is.... There is no such folder which is probably why I'm having trouble. The list goes from
    com.apple.docfixup.plist to com.apple.HIToolbox.plist. So got an extra on lying around? Seriously, can I download one somewehre or should I reinstall the os. Not having any other noticable troubles currently. Sorry I was in the wrong library folder, got it on the desk top now and will follow instructions. I was in the first library folder you come to. I found the other one in the user folder. Sometimes I'm a little slow on the uptake.

Ron

Desktop icon location

Specs:
    Ok, the drive came up in the upper rt. cnr. And I put my other boot drive under it where I like it and tried clean up selection and it worked fine. Last time I tried that the result was not what I expected. So again thank you very much. I've only had to come here twice I think in my mac life from my first 8600 to the dinosaur G5 motorola 2.0. They really don't make them like that 8600 any more what a tank. What dream to work in. The G5 case is nicely made but way to reminiscent of the pc days when you try to do much inside.

Ron

Desktop icon location
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by ron45 View Post
    That is a very impressive answer. I didn't expect that level of help. Thank you very much. Thing is.... There is no such folder which is probably why I'm having trouble. The list goes from
    com.apple.docfixup.plist to com.apple.HIToolbox.plist. So got an extra on lying around? Seriously, can I download one somewehre or should I reinstall the os. Not having any other noticable troubles currently. Sorry I was in the wrong library folder, got it on the desk top now and will follow instructions. I was in the first library folder you come to. I found the other one in the user folder. Sometimes I'm a little slow on the uptake.

Ron
    If you're using a newer version of the Mac OS...you have to set your "desktop preferences" to show the hard drive icon.

Go to:

- the desktop
    - "Finder" drop down menu
    - "Finder Preferences"
    - check the box for "hard disks"...under the "Show these items on the desktop:" statement.

HTH,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Desktop icon location

Specs:
    Thanks Nick, That box is checked but I'm using X.4.1.1 I don't think of it as new but the end of the line till this thing can no longer function on the internet. Wish I had the time to learn the stuff you guys know. You all are a real treasure.

Ron

Desktop icon location
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by ron45 View Post
    ...I'm using X.4.1.1 I don't think of it as new but the end of the line till this thing can no longer function on the internet.
    I've seen this mentioned twice...so thought that we should correct things. "X.4.1.1" is not really an OS version (or proper format)...maybe you mean 10.4.11??

Also...it's not really clear what Macintosh computer you're currently using (or having this trouble with). You did mention a G5. If this is the case...you can run OS 10.5 (actually up to OS 10.5.8). So if you're having compatibility issues...maybe a newer OS version could help. OS 10.5 install disks will cost you about $80-$100 on e-Bay.

Good luck,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Desktop icon location

Specs:
    Thanks Nick. I'll look into the upgrade when I need it to get on line.

Ron

Thread Information