New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

My email has been hacked?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

toptomato

toptomato is on a distinguished road

Hi,
i have some malware on my G5, (OS 10.5) and am wondering what the best software is to get rid of it.

ClamXav crashes and does not work.

Any recommendations?,

thank you

embarassing when your clients recieve emails from you promoting all kinds of junk
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

What leads you to believe that you have a problem with Malware?

Especially, if the only symptom is bogus emails, it is far more likely that your email address is being spoofed, or if you have a GMail or other account, that it may have been hacked.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
toptomato

thanks for the reply,
No, unfortunately (for me) i am real and bogus emails are being sent from my email address.

maybe you are right, & my email address is being spoofed.
I ran ClamXav and it said there was no malware on my machine but then it crashed, repeatedly, so i thought perhaps it just is not working.

how can one remedy your email address being hacked?, really really embarassing for my clients to get. any help would be appreciated, thanks
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by toptomato View Post
thanks for the reply,
No, unfortunately (for me) i am real and bogus emails are being sent from my email address.

maybe you are right, & my email address is being spoofed.
I ran ClamXav and it said there was no malware on my machine but then it crashed, repeatedly, so i thought perhaps it just is not working.

how can one remedy your email address being hacked?, really really embarassing for my clients to get. any help would be appreciated, thanks
Have you tried resetting your email password to a strong password?

As far as what you can do with spoofing, I don't know. We have some IT types on here that may have reccomendations, but I'm not sure, short of changing email accounts that there is much you can do about that.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

There is, to this date, no virus, worm, trojan, malware, nor any other nasty that will do what you are suggesting that works in OS X.

Hacked email accounts are a common occurrence. You need to change the password on the email account and change it to a minimum of 9 letters long with a mix of letters, numbers & misc characters.

If you have given someone remote access privileges to your computer, it could be done that way.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
toptomato

appreciate the help, thank you
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Newbie who needs help! | home folder within home folder, cant remove »