New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

incorrect number of thread records & cant erase disk

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

france_54

france_54 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 6GB 800MHz Ram, 1Tb, OSX 10.5.8

Hi All,

I have looked around the forums and there are bits of info on this but no definitive answer.

I am getting the 'incorrect number of thread records' error. I have tried repairing thru 'Disk Utility' which is just useless; I have also tried thru 'single user and command promts and still no luck.

So I started the machine up with the install disk and tried to erase the disk ...and disk utility will not allow me to erase. So as I understand it 'Disk Warrior' can fix all my problems, but im not to happy to part with my cash as this is for a friend...who also isnt too happy to part with the cash.

Is there anything else I can try i.e. is it work me linking it in transfer mode and trying to wipe the drive? Or taking the drive out and wiping it on another system?

The reason Im tight about buying DW is that surely Apple should be supplying machines with the software to carry out these kind of disk maintenance jobs??!

I would really appreciate any help on this, losing the data isnt an issue as it is all backed up...I just want to get a mates MacBook Pro working for them again

Thank you guys and girls of Mac Forum for your input on this one!!

xox
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Is this an SSD?

Kingston have issued a case number and in replacement process for a Kingston drive that came up with the incorrect number thread records. Booted from a backup drive, repairing in Disk utility just went round in a continuous loop repeating the incorrect threads message in red.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
france_54

No its an standard SATA drive. I have cleared it now, but am getting the error message Mac OS X can not be installed on this machine now
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Have you booted from the system install disc and ran Repair Disc from Utilities > Disc Utility? What sort of disc are you using to install Mac OS X ~ not a silver grey disc from another machine one trusts?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
france_54

Indeed kind sir I have booted from several retail leopard DVDs and also the grey DVD that came with my specific machine...this problem is not solved thou...I just ended up being a shot hard drive, after putting an old faithful HD in the OS X installed after formatting. No real idea what is wrong with the HD that was in the machine but as it is less than 1 year old I will be marching down the store come the weekend!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Reformatting | Lost Address Bar In Safari »