New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Missing hard drive space...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dgoldblatt633

dgoldblatt633 is on a distinguished road

I have a Pro Mac Tower that is running Snow Leopard 10.6.4. It is about two or three years old. It has two hard drives in it. The main drive labeled Macintosh HD is the one I am having an issue with. There are hardly any files ( that I can see ) on the drive beyond the OS but the drive shows as being almost full. I went in to finder to view all of the visible and non visible files and folders but nothing adds up to the drive being full. All of my media and documents are on the second HD which is showing the correct amount of space filled. I don't know if its a drive space allocation issue or something else. I checked all the log files, searched out and deleted any duplicate files, but things just don't add up to the drive showing as full. Please help !!!
QUOTE Thanks
dgoldblatt633

I have a used Mac Pro tower that is about three years old. It is running OS X 10.6.4. It has two hard drives in it. One is the main drive labeled Macintosh HD and the other is a drive the previous owner labeled as back-up. The back up drive is 500gb and the main drive is showing 250gb total capacity. The main drive is the one I am having an issue with. I have not made any changes to the machine since I got it and it was pretty much wiped clean. The drive is showing as almost full yet when I look in Finder at all the foldersand files both hidden and visible, nothing adds up to the drive being nearly full. The only thing on the drive is the OS and a few miscellaneous things but nothing huge enough to fill the drive. I think it may be a drive space allocation issue but I don't know how to check for that or how to fix it if it is the problem. Could the drive really be a 500gb drive but it isn't allocated or partitioned correctly? How do I check for this and how do I fix it? Please Help !!!!
QUOTE Thanks
dgoldblatt633

Oops...I accidentally reposted !!
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

Try this:
Disk Inventory X
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

You have double-posted. Please read the other post.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Threads merged.

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
dgoldblatt633

Thanks, I'll have to check it out. It just puzzles me that a hard drive can look as though its full yet there is hardly anything on it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Screen brightness control mute button? | discs »