New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Default perms by Windows on Lion shared drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

serverpimp

serverpimp is on a distinguished road

How do I set up a default permission mask so that Windows applications writing to the Mac shared directory can then be edited by other users? Ideally 750. Can a default group be defined for these writes also?

I have tried to find default umask definitions. Running bash by default when using Terminal. If I find or create the umask definition I'm guessing it may fix my Windows writes but maybe cause some other undesired permission problems.

Gory details of my situation:
(names have been changed to protect the guilty)
Both users 'husband' and 'wife' are in a group by themselves called 'husbandwifegroup'. Not sure that matters at this point unless I can change new file group to be named this group name.

Systems:
Mac Mini Lion Server - share set up for family photos
Mac Air Lion
Windows 7 - wife's system used to get at photos

The share/directory I created ('pictures') and can be seen on Air and Win 7 systems. I also made a group called 'husbandwifegroup' trying to limit other users on the Mac Mini having access.

drwxrwx--- 4 husband husbandwifegroup 136 Nov 27 09:07 pictures

Using this share I can successfully write from Air & Win7 to the shared directory ('pictures') on Mini. But the default permissions are different on the Mini from the two systems when I write files to the share.

Air
-rw-r--r--@ 1 husband staff 35143 Nov 27 12:07 file_saved_from_Air.JPG

Win 7
-rw------- 1 husband staff 12659 Nov 27 12:09 Test husband on PC.docx

From Win 7 logged in as my wife's account
-rw------- 1 wife staff 12622 Nov 27 12:05 Test.docx

So the entire idea for the share was to allow my wife to edit photos from the Win 7 box. That works but when she saves the file it's defaulting to 600.

-rw------- 1 wife staff 3291923 Nov 27 11:16 ./1-1-1.JPG

Same with me on the Air along with the '@' on the end. What does that mean?
-rw-------@ 1 husband staff 195170 Nov 27 11:22 ./1-2.JPG (from the AIR)

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Why Finder cannot perform a URL search? | permission's mystery »