New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

macbook mini dv to hdmi...no sound

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

farras

farras is on a distinguished road

Hi ...i have a macbook 2.26 ghz intel core 2 duo using version 10.6.8 os...i connected a mini dv to an hdmi cable to my tv but i still have no sound.
I tried connecting a 3.5mm to a stereo rca y cable connector but still no sound...any help would be greatly appreciative. btw i have the belkin mini dv to hdmi adapter...purchased macbook in 2010....
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

There is no such thing as a "mini dv" video port on any Mac.

The late '09 model MB with the 2.26 Ghz chip would have a "mini displayport" (or mdp for short).
It does not support audio out through the video port.
You will have to use a separate cable for the audio with most of the adapters out there.

You should have a read through Post # 3, the Second: section - here:

Connecting your Mac to your TV

If you have problems figuring it out, you'll need to provide the make and model # of your TV for the specific connections &/or settings required on the TV.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
kutekat73

kutekat73 is on a distinguished road

Hi

I have a macbook version 10.5.8
mac os x
processor 1.83 ghz

I know the mini dvi to hdmi adapter does not carry audio, so how do I get audio?
I have a good picture on my apex digital flat screen, but no sound.
I also bought a red and white cable for sound to connect to the headphone input on macbook.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutekat73 View Post
Hi

mac os x
processor 1.83 ghz

I know the mini dvi to hdmi adapter does not carry audio, so how do I get audio?
I have a good picture on my apex digital flat screen, but no sound.
I also bought a red and white cable for sound to connect to the headphone input on macbook.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
your macbook headphone jack input should have male to male ends, one single audio cable to tv audio in jack. that should do it. sample of audio cable
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Read this.

Connecting your Mac to your TV

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
kutekat73

Ycl: this is not the same as the headphone jack to red and white Audio? I have a red and white audio jack next to hdmi on side of apex tv.

Dysfunction. I read your link many times and it was of no help.
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

kutekat73,
my samsung tv has audio in jack, one single audio cable does the job.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Once you've connected the 3.5mm headphone out to your MacBook and the L R white/red phono plugs to the TV you may need to go into the TV settings and switch the audio in source as the TV will default to audio in from HDMI.

Also, you say you've read the link Dysfunction posted many times yet you haven't posted the information it requests.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
kutekat73

I've posted all the info I have on my Mac. And the kind of apex tv I have.
U tv audio does not allow for this adjustment.

Thank you ycl I will try the cable you suggest.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

An "Apex digital flat screen" isn't going to help people find info to help you without adding model numbers etc.

Good luck with the other cable but if the HDMI input doesn't have an alternative audio in on the tv it's never going to work

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
kutekat73

It does have an audio in. Your nasty replies are not needed plow.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

My replies are not nasty you were directed to comprehensive help which you clearly didn't read and understand. So people have just have had to guess what's available on you tv.

But my comment stands your tv may have audio in but if your HDMI input cannot accept that audio in as an input rather than expecting the audio across the HDMI cable it will not work.

Don't mistake fact for nasty

QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutekat73 View Post
It does have an audio in. Your nasty replies are not needed plow.
Yep, so far the information you've been given is 100% correct. We have no knowledge of your TV, so I can't even google it and read your owners manual for you. Really, this is what I'd suggest you do, it sure beats getting defensive when getting FREE technical support.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

On the tv, it should have dvi/pc audio in jack, using the single audio cable male to male ends, one goes to mbp speaker jack the other goes to tv audio in jack. As simple as this. since you have mentioned there is audio in jack on your tv.
Macbook pro produced after mid 2010 does not require extra audio cable.
I am waiting for the mountain lion to come out with airplay, buy an Apple tv module, all the cables will be absolute. And we do not have to be on each other throat. Life is meant to be taken easy.
QUOTE Thanks
kutekat73

1. What Mac do you have?
mac os x
processor 1.83 ghz
year unknown

2. What TV do you have? I have an apex digital LD4086. I have no link to manual, but here is a link to specifications.
Apex 40" Full HD 1080p LCD HDTV (LD4086) - BJ's Wholesale Club

3. Where do you want the sound? On the TV.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Use of Maxtor one touch 4 800 GB | Java problem. It says it isn't enabled, but it is »