New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

permission's mystery

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

typhophoh

typhophoh is on a distinguished road

Hello.
My MAC OS is Leopard and I use the computer personally, i.e. I'm admin user.
I've just started PHP, so I created a local server and changed the computer's permission to make it work.

My question is why 755 doesn't work for a simple PHP program, but 777 works.
Permissions for the folder and files are like this
:the folder in Sites/ ---777, php files in the folder ---755

I think '7'55 should be enough because I am the admin, neither a guest nor a member of some group. However, 755 for the folder doesn't work.
Would anybody help me to solve the mystery?
Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

I highly doubt that your server instance (assuming it's a daemon) is running as your user.

You certainly should NOT run this as 777, 755 is indeed preferable. You'd need to change the owner to the user running your server instance using chown. That'd do it.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
typhophoh

typhophoh is on a distinguished road

I still don't understand the difference between administrator and root user...
Any way, I 'll try chown, thank you Dysfunction!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Here's the deal. Say you're running apache. Generally this is run by a non-privileged user (such as "www"). So, if you chown www <file> it should be able to execute your PHP script. This has nothing to do with the user you're logged on as. In fact, running servers as your (privileged) login would be a VERY bad idea indeed. There are a TON of exploits that exist in various daemons.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

There's also a difference between administrator and root in OS X. Take a look here. They're close but root is one step closer to absolute/unrestrained control.

Dysfunction is very much correct on this one - 777 is a terrible set of permissions for what you're trying to do. It's a "quick fix" for most problems but it's a terrible one. I understand why you'd want to do it though - PHP scripts can be frustrating if they don't have the perfect set of permissions (I can't tell you the number of times this has frustrated me).

I've noticed that this problem generally pops up when you move scripts across machines. Are you doing development across machines?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Default perms by Windows on Lion shared drive | cant find migration assistant in os 10.1.2 puma »