Lion freezing during updates
    Hi im Daniel, and im new to the board. Im having an issue with my early 2011 mac book pro, started with snow leopard and updated to lion.

ABOUT THIS MAC-
    2 GHz intel core i7
    4GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    os x lion 10.7.2 (11c74)

THE ISSUE
    okay whenever i try to do a system update it will download the update, then i go to install it gets all the way to the point were it says "applying (4) updates DO NOT POWER DOWN" then it freezes, the first few times it did it i waited 24hrs and it never changed. then i realized it wasnt going to change so i had to power down to get out of it. Anyone have a clue as to what may be wrong with my mac? i tried googling it and came up with nothing so this must not be a "typical" issue. If you need more system specs or anything like that just let me know and ill try to get them. i really dont wanna have to drive all the out to apple. Thanks in advance,
    D.G

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    It sounds like it's trying to do a firmware update and failing for some reason. Try doing a PRAM reset (turn the machine off, turn it back on and immediately press and hold Command + Option + P + R, continue holding until the system chimes twice and then release).

Once that's done, try the update again.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    It sounds like it's trying to do a firmware update and failing for some reason. Try doing a PRAM reset (turn the machine off, turn it back on and immediately press and hold Command + Option + P + R, continue holding until the system chimes twice and then release).

Once that's done, try the update again.
    okay ill give that a shot and update you either way it turns out. Thanks for your help!

So i tried it and .... IT WORKED! thanks so much.... you da man lol i had to download about 5 different updates and restart 5 times but it worked. Thanks again

Thread Information