Specs:
    3.06 GHZ iMac, 500 GB Hard drive, 4 GB RAM, Intel Core i3 duo processor, Mac OS X 10.6.8
    Lion vs. Snow Leopard- should I upgrade?
    I'm sure there are plenty of topics like this out there, I just wanted to hear the community's thoughts and relate them to my personal needs. I have snow leopard currently and am annoyed by the fact that I can't update any of my hundreds of free app store apps anymore. Also, I heard that Lion does away with such features as Airport file and screen sharing and Rosetta. Can anyone compile a list of the pros and cons of upgrading based off of these needs; I want an honest opinion that I can't seem to find anywhere else. I've considered dual-booting but would that be too much of a pain considering all Lion offers is the ability to run better apps?

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by joebohr View Post
    I have snow leopard currently and am annoyed by the fact that I can't update any of my hundreds of free app store apps anymore.
    I'm not sure what free apps you can't update anymore...but if you truly have "hundreds" of apps you can't update...that's at least 200+ reasons to upgrade to Lion...which is probably 195 more reasons than many other people have for upgrading to Lion.

Do you really need more???

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    3.06 GHZ iMac, 500 GB Hard drive, 4 GB RAM, Intel Core i3 duo processor, Mac OS X 10.6.8
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    I'm not sure what free apps you can't update anymore...but if you truly have "hundreds" of apps you can't update...that's at least 200+ reasons to upgrade to Lion...which is probably 195 more reasons than many other people have for upgrading to Lion.

Do you really need more???

- Nick
    Well yeah, considering I don't use them very often (being free after all, they aren't the best quality) and there are really only about 80 that won't update. Plus, I think that the interface and system capabilities are infinitely more important then some half-baked free apps (the versions I have now work fine anyway).

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by joebohr View Post
    Well yeah, considering I don't use them very often (being free after all, they aren't the best quality) and there are really only about 80 that won't update. Plus, I think that the interface and system capabilities are infinitely more important then some half-baked free apps (the versions I have now work fine anyway).
    If these "hundreds" of apps that aren't updatable aren't important in the decision to upgrade to Lion...then this reason probably shouldn't be included in post #1.

The idea is to not be overly dramatic...and just boil things down to what is important.

In my humble opinion (and some others)...unless you're currently having some sort of serious hardware or software compatibility issues that require Lion to solve...or there's a new feature of Lion you cannot live without...there probably isn't a strong reason for you to upgrade at the current time.

Just my humble opinions of course,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
    For me - the only reason to 'upgrade' was to get the iCloud. If you can't use that - then there really is no compelling reason to upgrade IMO - except Safari 5.1 seems to like Lion better.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    If these "hundreds" of apps that aren't updatable aren't important in the decision to upgrade to Lion...then this reason probably shouldn't be included in post #1.

The idea is to not be overly dramatic...and just boil things down to what is important.

In my humble opinion (and some others)...unless you're currently having some sort of serious hardware or software compatibility issues that require Lion to solve...or there's a new feature of Lion you cannot live without...there probably isn't a strong reason for you to upgrade at the current time.

Just my humble opinions of course,

- Nick
    Your right, I probably shouldn't have included the fact that I have apps that need updating since it is a non-factor. I did so simply because it was what prompted me to consider whether or not I should upgrade.

Also, it's not that I can't use icloud, simply that I see no value in it unless someone can convince me otherwise.

The better question is… do you have a reason to NOT upgrade? Lion and its successors are the future, for better or worse. Unless you have software that can't run under Lion, or you simply can't afford it, or if you don't meet the hardware requirements, then you may as well strap in and do it.

I'm curious… what apps do you have off the App Store that can only be updated if you have Lion? That seems odd to have happened so soon, unless they are using Lion-specific features that make them unable to run in Snow Leopard. Of course, if you want to stay on what is now a legacy OS, then not being able to update apps is par for the course. No one running Tiger can get updates to, say, Firefox.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
    The better question is… do you have a reason to NOT upgrade? Lion and its successors are the future, for better or worse. Unless you have software that can't run under Lion, or you simply can't afford it, or if you don't meet the hardware requirements, then you may as well strap in and do it.

I'm curious… what apps do you have off the App Store that can only be updated if you have Lion? That seems odd to have happened so soon, unless they are using Lion-specific features that make them unable to run in Snow Leopard. Of course, if you want to stay on what is now a legacy OS, then not being able to update apps is par for the course. No one running Tiger can get updates to, say, Firefox.
    I really don't have any good reason NOT to upgrade, I just was looking for some reason TO upgrade since I am happy with Snow Leopard (although LION does seem to fix a few minor annoyances at the cost of Rosetta). As for the apps, I realized that about 5 or 6 of them stopped having updates available on the DAY that lion was released! A few examples of apps that won't update now are Daylight, Study Center, and IQ Test.

If you are happy with Snow Leopard, then stay on it. You already know the pluses and minuses, and no one here gives a flip which way you go.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
    If you are happy with Snow Leopard, then stay on it. You already know the pluses and minuses, and no one here gives a flip which way you go.
    How is the Wine support on Lion? Does Lion still have X11?

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    I do know The Gimp works and that still needs X11 I am pretty sure.

Specs:
    Way... way too many specs to list.
    xterms still there. I can't comment on wine because I really have zero use for it personally.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    mike
    This machine kills fascists
    Got # ? phear the command line!

Specs:
    21.5in iMac
    Personally I have no inclination to upgrade Snow Leopard to Lion. I have a number of PowerPC Apps in my machine (MS Word, Photoshop Elements etc) which, even though their use is limited nowadays, I have no desire to spend cash on upgrading them.

What's more, as has already been said, I am very familiar with the ins and outs of SL and I can see no material advantage in upgrading.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Personally I have no inclination to upgrade Snow Leopard to Lion. I have a number of PowerPC Apps in my machine (MS Word, Photoshop Elements etc) which, even though their use is limited nowadays, I have no desire to spend cash on upgrading them.

What's more, as has already been said, I am very familiar with the ins and outs of SL and I can see no material advantage in upgrading.
    I think I'll go with a dual-boot, is 4GB RAM enough for both? Also, can Lion be installed on a bootable external hd?

Thread Information