New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Help! Can't access Library folders!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

newby

newby is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MPB 2.2 Intel Core Duo 2gb Ram - G5 Tower PPC - iPhone 4 - 2x3GHZ 12gb Ram MacPro Tower, ATV2

Hi!

Can you help?

My library folder says I have no permission to access!!!

I am logged in as me (the only login on the mac) and I can change properties to all access etc but I cant access the folder - it says "you do not have permission"

What do I need to do? Many thanks

MacBookPro - 2.2 15" - Mac Mini - 2.5 2009 -MacPro Tower 2 x 3 Quad Core (Work) - iPhone 4 - iPad2, 2x Apple TV
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Which Library folder are you accessing? There are three of them and you only have write permissions to one of them (~/Library).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
newby

Mac Specs: MPB 2.2 Intel Core Duo 2gb Ram - G5 Tower PPC - iPhone 4 - 2x3GHZ 12gb Ram MacPro Tower, ATV2

HI

The one under my login name

I'm trying to access the logs for a program that has stopped working

Thanks

MacBookPro - 2.2 15" - Mac Mini - 2.5 2009 -MacPro Tower 2 x 3 Quad Core (Work) - iPhone 4 - iPad2, 2x Apple TV
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

What is the error message? Unless something has changed, you have permissions. When you "get info" on the folder, ensure that your user has "Read & Write" permissions.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
newby

Hi, it says: you it have permission to access this folder

Permissions are set to read and write and since getting the MSG I've gone into the permissions and set it read and write for everyone but still I get the message!

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Could you post a screenshot of this? My guess is that something simple is causing this since full R/W permissions should prevent such an error from occurring.

Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
newby

Very kind thank you - when I get in I'll do it thank you

QUOTE Thanks
newby

File showing error message should be attached

Any ideas?

Many thanks for help so far
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cant open library.jpg (18.5 KB, 23 views)

QUOTE Thanks
newby

And here is the INFO tab regarding the file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg library INFO grab.jpg (26.7 KB, 23 views)

QUOTE Thanks
newby

Still the same today after a long rest :-(

Any ideas?

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Click the lock to unlock the sharing & permissions > click the gear button > "Apply to enclosed items." I'm not sure if that will fix everything but the red "caution" sign on the folder can appear if certain folders within have permission issues.

Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
newby

Thanks Vansmith

I tried you idea out last night but I didn't have that option under the gear drop down! :-(

QUOTE Thanks
newby

Please example of what i have under the cog drop down
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cog tab example.jpg (15.4 KB, 11 views)

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Okay, we need to do this the Unix way since I'm running out of GUI ideas. Open up Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/) and type in the following:
Code:
ls -ld ~/Library/
Press enter. What does that output to the screen?

Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sotlight troubles. | iPhoto not opening + Removal of Duplicates »