New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Save as vs. Duplicate

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mrotsliah

mrotsliah is on a distinguished road

Does Apple have any plans to "fix" this Duplicate feature and bring back Save as? Or at least give us an option to choose which one we like in the System Preferences? I miss Save as, and I've only had Lion for 5 days.

This Duplicate feature is not as fast and easy as the standard Save as feature. It takes me at least twice as long to save as a document than it use to, and considering that I save as everything since it is easier to reuse all my preamble information, it just takes me longer to do things.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Apple hasn't publicized any plans, however I totally agree that they have made things dreadfully confusing by changing the names of that menu item. "Save as" worked fine. It has worked well all these years across platforms. Everyone knows that function by name. What it does is dead obvious. It's what we are accustomed to. Calling it something else was wholly unnecessary.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.1

I agree it's not a good feature, along with auto-locking my Pages documents forcing me to manually unlock them if I haven't used them for a while.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010, WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen,ATV2, Samsung LE40 Series 6, Denon AVR1910, Kef HTS 1001.2s and Kube-1 Sub
Denon DCD510AE, Panasonic DMP-BD60,Sky+HD,Logitech Harmony One Advanced. MOTM October 2012.
QUOTE Thanks
mrotsliah

mrotsliah is on a distinguished road

It's just that Duplicate adds more steps to the process:
1) I have to use the mouse to click File and then click Duplicate.
2) A new window opens up.
3) I have to save that new window separately.
4) Most of the time I have to go through the folders to find where the original file was. (I use the mouse here.)
5) Then I have to choose as what type of file is this new document going to be saved. (I want to save it as the same type of file, i.e., as a Tex Document, not a Plane Text File.)
6) Then I click save.
7) I have to go back and close the original file.

With Save as:
1) I can use Shift-Comand-S.
2) The Save as menu comes up already at the folder where the original file was.
3) I can simply type a new name for the file.
4) When I hit Enter (or click save), it is saved as the same type of file.
I can do all this with out touching the mouse.

Why reinvent the process and make it less convenient?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HELP! My daughter renamed files. | All Documents and IPhoto »