New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

cannot find my mail icon

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sandra090

Sandra090 is on a distinguished road

I own a mac which has three users with their own accounts. The mail icon which used to be available on the bar at the bottom of the screen has disappeared from all three accounts. I have been to the apple store and they advised looking in the applications file, but it is not there, I have tried searching through spotlight, but this reveals nothing. Can anyone tell me where is has gone, I have been told that it is impossible to delete this from my machine.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Are you 100% sure if you open the Applications folder that no MAIL exists there?
QUOTE Thanks
Sandra090

no, I have just checked again and there is nothing there
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What version of OSX is on your machine? Do you have the install DvD that came with the Mac? What Mac is this?

If it's OSX Snow Leopard or earlier and you have the OSX DVD, there is a folder on the DVD called Optional Installs. Look and see if Mail is there. It's been a while since I checked. If so, you can reinstall from there.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Mac OS X 10.6 Help: Reinstalling applications that came with your computer

I was correct. It's not on Lion though as Lion is not on a DVD. Let us know which version of OSX you have.
QUOTE Thanks
Sandra090

my machine is OSX 10.6.8, but I did not have any discs with it, all was pre loaded
QUOTE Thanks
Sandra090

I guess if I had no discs, it must be Lion
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If you have 10.6... and you bought the Mac new, then it had discs that came with it.

Lion is 10.7...

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Sandra090

Yes I bought it new, direct from Apple but it did not have discs
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Did you check for a little gray box?
QUOTE Thanks
Sandra090

sorry, gray box?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

All new Macs prior to Lion - 10.7 - included the discs inside the box with the machine.
A CD sized package, and I believe labeled "Everything Else" on the outside of it.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Before the new Macs with Lion 10.7 came out, all Macs came with a small gray box with the DVD's in the main box somewhere. Manual and DVD's were there.
QUOTE Thanks
Sandra090

so without the disc I am sunk? Have searched everywhere, not something I would throw away, all computer stuff is kept together.

Sandra
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Ask Apple for replacements. Are you sure it's 10.6.8 Snow Leopard? Tell Apple you lost the DVD. They might just send one for free of for a not too high price.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« boot camp | Changing background color of finder »