New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Transfer Drive from old to new Mac Pro?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dabble

dabble is on a distinguished road

Hello,
I am new to this forum and have one initial question.
I am about to purchase a new 12 core Mac Pro to replace my older EFI 32 8 core. The current 8 core is running OSX Lion 7.2 and I would like to consider moving that boot drive over to the new machine as its boot drive in order to avoid having to reload all of my software. Will this be possible?
Thank you in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

It's possible that the new Mac's installation of Lion may have or need drivers that aren't available in the old Mac's installation of Lion. That's unlikely though, since the Mac Pro hasn't seen an update in some time, so you should be just fine. On booting up the old drive, Lion should see that you have different hardware and load the drivers accordingly. If you go this route, I would definitely consider running the full suite of Onyx's maintenance and cleaning tools after swapping them out.

You could instead just migrate your applications and user accounts to the new Mac and be up and running where you left off once done. No need to actually reinstall anything. The Migration Assistant that comes with every installation of OS X can do this for you. Just connect the two computers by firewire or ethernet cable and run the app. Obviously this will take more time than simply swapping the drive, but you'd be up and running on the new drive that you paid good money for anyway as part of the purchase.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

And your current Mac Pro will be SATAII and the new machine SATA III. Try popping it in bay 2, and as suggested run Migration Assistant from utilities to transfer things over. The SATA III drive will be much faster than the SATA II so use that as the boot drive.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
dabble

dabble is on a distinguished road

Thank you all for your replies. I suspect that the best method going forward would be to install the old drive—seagate barracuda 2 TB 6gbs—into one of the new Mac Pro's slots and use Migration Assistant. I have used it before with good results.
Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Safari 5.1.1 will not connect to Yahoo Miail | Help! iMac Stuck on Start-up »