New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

AUDIO issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

crisis

crisis is on a distinguished road

i have mac book pro 13" mid 2010 with lion and leopard operating systems , and i had lost my audio at sudden , then its get back at sudden also , then now its gone after many restarts and use , and hardware testing , NO USE please advice , PPL or even steven job ! let em help me .
QUOTE Thanks
steve391

steve391 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Hummm? I have several.

I too ran into this problem, but after some research (with no help from Apple) I realized that the MacBook and MacBook Pro, single 3.5 mm audio jack has the dual purpose of being both the line-in audio port and the headphone socket. Duh!

In Lion, you can switch between the two modes (Input or Output) using the Sound component within System Preferences (Apple menu/System Preferences)—simply select whichever entry you want from the dropdown menu alongside Use Audio Port For.

However, a much quicker way to switch between the two options, is to hold down the Option key and click the volume control icon at the top right of the screen. Then you can select either Input or Output from the menu that appears.

Also, for me at least, you can only switch modes if there’s nothing plugged into the audio jack at the time (i.e. no headphone plugged in).

I hope this helps.

Steve391
QUOTE Thanks
crisis

dear steve

the problem is , the audio from the preferences does not detect any audio driver or anything , is like there no audio "thing"inside my MAC neither the volume , its ugly light grey thing cant move anything .

thx for replying
QUOTE Thanks
steve391

crisis,

If you haven't tried this... give it a shot.

If the sound completely stops working, open the Terminal and input the following:

sudo killall coreaudiod

Or, if that doesn't work, try...

sudo -i
"enter your password"
launchctl stop com.apple.audio.coreaudiod
launchctl start com.apple.audio.coreaudiod

Hopefully, one of these will get your sound up and going again.

steve391
QUOTE Thanks
crisis

i ll give it a shot , and let you know , RIP steve
QUOTE Thanks
crisis

wait , what if i don't have PW , it couldn't be just enter ..??
QUOTE Thanks
crisis

actually i can't type anything in the password !
QUOTE Thanks
flyphysh

flyphysh is on a distinguished road

If all else fails try using an external sound card card through a USB port. Available cheap at any computer store.
QUOTE Thanks
crisis

i ve tried that terminal , doesn't work . what else to try ?
if using USB u mean there is hardware issue i have ??
QUOTE Thanks
steve391

Crisis,

Ok... Hummm? When you say you have no sound "drivers", be aware that they don't show up like with a PC; they are there, but as part of OSX. So, if you have reinstalled the OS and your internal sound card isn't found, then it sounds like a hardware issue.

Do you hear the startup sounds? If you do... The sound card is functional.

Let's do a PRAM and NVRAM reset. It is a long shot, but give it a try.

1. Shut down your computer
2. Turn on the computer while holding down the Comman+Option+P+R keys.
3. hold the keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound twice.
4. Release the keys

Let me know what happens.

Steve391
QUOTE Thanks
steve391

crisis,

When you said that the "Terminal" procedure failed, but you didn't have or couldn't enter a password, it got me thinking. You have to have activated your "root" account. Have you ever?

Activating the Root Account

Open Finder, hit Shift + Command + G , and enter the following: /System/Library/Core- Services. In the file listing that appears, open the Directory Utility program.

Click the lock icon at the bottom left to enable changes, if it isn’t already unlocked, and enter your password when prompted.

You’ll immediately be asked to enter a new password for the root user, which you’ll need to type again in the Verify field to confirm.

The new account is created instantly.

Following this you’ll be able to switch to root user in the usual way at the command prompt by typing su -.

Steve391
QUOTE Thanks
steve391

crisis,

If nothing else seems to work, let's do a complete Apple Hardware Test.

When you purchased your Mac, the box should have included a CD, DVD, or USB Software Reinstall Drive with an application called "Apple Hardware Test" on it. Depending on when you bought your computer, this could be an independent disc, or it may be included on the Mac OS X Install Disc.

Apple Hardware Test can run only when you start up from the disc or USB drive it came on; don’t bother trying to copy it to your hard disk. This program performs a series of diagnostic tests on your Mac’s hardware, including the AirPort card, logic board, hard drive, RAM, and video RAM. It doesn’t repair anything, and it doesn’t look for problems such as directory errors that are the province of Disk Utility.

To run Apple Hardware Test, follow these steps:

1. Insert the disc or USB drive with Apple Hardware Test on it into your Mac and restart, holding down the Option key until icons appear representing the available startup volumes.

Note: If the disc label specifies holding down a key other than Option, do what the label says.

2. Click the Apple Hardware Test icon, and then click the right arrow.

3. After the program loads, select a language and click the right arrow.

4. On the Hardware Tests tab, click Extended Test.

5. Go make yourself a sandwitch and watch a movie or enjoy a stroll around your neighborhood. This test takes a while!

The screen may say something like “Estimated time: 10–15 minutes, or longer depending on the amount of memory installed.” Take the “or longer” part seriously. On an old MacBook with only 2 GB of RAM, the test takes almost an hour and 45 minutes.

6. If all is well, the word “Passed” appears next to all the applicable tests in the Test Results area. If not, a failure message appears; if this happens, we'll go to the next step.

7. Click Restart to restart your computer.

Steve391
QUOTE Thanks
steve391

crisis,

I just reread your original post which said that you have "both lion and leopard operating systems", are they both installed? If so, does sound work with the Leopard OS?

Steve391
QUOTE Thanks
crisis

- i ve tried the PRAM & NVRAM reset . as instructed , the PC restarts every time the white screen shows up . no sound produced .
- i ve made it to the root by TERMINAL and copied the 2 sentences individually ;nothing happened .
- i ll try the extend hardware test and let you know .

thx
QUOTE Thanks
crisis

alright , i ve made the extended hard ware test and it has passed pass no 1 . it took 55 mnts ....the audio has the same problem . !!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iCloud | Browsers can't establish a connection »