New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

My Keyboard has amind of its own.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

coreyschiller76

coreyschiller76 is on a distinguished road

yesterday afternoon my dog knock over a cup of ice tea and a good portion of it landed ontop of my mac book keyboard. After a few hours had passed and i had dried and patted down the spilt beverage the bottom row of keyys stopped working. Now,as i sit on another computer when i hit a single key it acts as though i have my finger down on the key steady.

Is my computer ruined? will an external keyboard allow me to regain some control?
everything else is operating.It's just the keyboard.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

There is no chance you got all the moisture out of the keyboard by letting it just sit there for a few hours and patting it down. Absolutely no chance. You may have something shorted out, or maybe (though far less likely) you have a mechanical failure from it being "sticky" due to sugar in the tea that got under the key. There is also the very distinct possibility that fluid got down into the motherboard of your MacBook and shorted something out, and not just something related to the keyboard. The longer you keep messing with this, the more likely you will short more things out. You really should get it to a pro.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

G'day and welcome to the forums - sad under such circumstanced.

And alas corey liquid + electronics often = death. have a read of this sticky:-

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/app...ow-thread.html

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

I had an iBook G4 once and was able to pop the whole keyboard out by pressing a couple of tabs. If you can do this then remove it and let everything air dry. Otherwise default to the above sage advice.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Transfer data: Non-Intel iMac to Intel iMac | Steam downloads and different user accounts. »