New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Unable to load Mac OS X after Windows 7 Install

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jrivas

jrivas is on a distinguished road

Hello,
I need serious help with this. I am fairly new to Macs and very worried aboutt what I have done. I have a Macbook Pro laptop. I decided to install Windows 7 on it under a new partition. I see only the partition that I have created for the Windows 7 install which leads me to believe that the Mac OS X partition is still in the laptop, only that I do not know how to get to it. Whenever I reboot or shut down the laptop I am not prompted to choose either Mac OS or Windows 7, It automaticly goes to Windows 7. Please help, How do I get it to go to the option window to choose between Windows and Mac OS?

Thanks
Jrivas
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Let me ask you one quick question. Did you do it yourself or use Bootcamp to make the partition and install Windows?

If you did use Bootcamp, did you pick the correct partition to install Windows on?

Have you tried Holding DOWN OPTION right after the Start Up sound? Keep option down till the boot menu comes up. Do you see OSX and Windows there or just Windows?
QUOTE Thanks
jrivas

jrivas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Let me ask you one quick question. Did you do it yourself or use Bootcamp to make the partition and install Windows?

If you did use Bootcamp, did you pick the correct partition to install Windows on?

Have you tried Holding DOWN OPTION right after the Start Up sound? Keep option down till the boot menu comes up. Do you see OSX and Windows there or just Windows?
Hello,
I picked the partition that was created with bootcamp. as I stated before the drive windows 7 was installed on is of the same capacity as the one I created with bootcamp (which was the only one). The only exception I did on the install, was that when it came to pick the partition, it said that It could not be loaded on that partition because it needed to be NTFS. So i formatted that partition only to be NTF. by doing that.. did I end up formatting he whole hard drive? because I do not see the the rest of the hard drive then.

Thanks for your help
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Did you try what I suggested and startup your Mac with the OPTION key held down after the Startup Sound? KEEP it down and the boot manager will come up. Do you see just one partition or both OSX and Windows?
QUOTE Thanks
wheatley123

wheatley123 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Did this issue get resolved? I have came across the same problem.
I have checked on disk managment and the original partition is still there. however I cannot access it, make it primary or any options when you right click on the partition in the windows 7 disk management tool.

I have tried holding Option/Command during boot up which takes you to the boot menu however there is only a Windows 7 option in the list.

Leigh
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Then, it's likely that you formatted your OS X partition in error. Which version of OS X was installed on your machine? If it was Lion or Mountain Lion, you should be able to get into the recovery partition by holding down the command and r keys on startup. Let us know and we can go from there.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Very easy to select the wrong partition to format with BootCamp setup. As chscag stated, the Mac OS X partition ends up formatted NTFS. Important to print and read the guidelines first.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MBP gets hot while charging and using. not otherwise. | Mountain Lion Intergrated Facebook App Deleted! Help »