New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Transfer data: Non-Intel iMac to Intel iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jklingel

jklingel is on a distinguished road

My old iMac is running 10.5.x, and is a Power PC. The new one is Intel-based and is running 10.6.x. I used the Migration Manager to migrate data just fine, but getting bookmarks imported is impossible so far. I have 3 browsers on the new machine: Google Chrome, Safari, and Firefox. None of them recognize Firefox on the old machine (grayed out) to allow me to import all my bookmarks. Any suggestions? Work-arounds? If this has been discussed here, pls let me know what to search for. I could not find anything. Thanks. john
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Here's how to manually recover Safari bookmarks:
Back Up or Move Your Safari Bookmarks to a New Mac

… for Firefox:
Backing up your information | How to | Firefox Help

… for Chrome:
Where does Google Chrome store it's bookmarks? - MacRumors Forums

You can try manually copying them from the old Mac to the comparable location on the new Mac, or use the bookmark export functions in each browser on the old Mac; copy the exported files over to your new Mac; then re-import them using each browser's import function.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

lifeisabeach is right on - there's no point in trying to be fancy with bookmarks. Simply export them on the old machine and import them on the new one.

Bookmarks are stored as text or in a database. As such, they are not tied to any particular architecture. There is no "PowerPC text file" in other words. As such, I'm willing to bet that the problem is the application that you're using.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
jklingel

jklingel is on a distinguished road

Life: Firefox sync was a piece of cake. Worked perfectly. That beat the tar out of copy and paste from an Appleworks file. Thanks. john
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need to know what Tiger OS version for old Macbook Pro | My Keyboard has amind of its own. »