New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

2011 Mac Mini upgrade help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

frankramos0023

frankramos0023 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 MacMini - 2.5ghz 128gb SSD + 500gb HDD, 2012 - MBP 2.4 ghz 256 gb SSD

I'm about to take the leap and upgrade my stock 500gb HD with a 128 SSD, I'm debating between a Crucial, Intel or Corsair. Once I buy either of them, what is the best way for me to start up my Mac? I have never done this before but I would like more speed from the mini.

Also, can i clean out the stock HD and install it as a secondary internal drive?

I have a 2011 Mac Mini 2.5GHz Dual i5 with

Thanks for the help!!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankramos0023 View Post
Once I buy either of them, what is the best way for me to start up my Mac?
What do you mean by "start up my Mac"? At what point of the process are we talking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankramos0023 View Post
Also, can i clean out the stock HD and install it as a secondary internal drive?
This is possible...but you would need a special bracket/adapter...and you would need to remove the optical drive.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Lbatson21

Lbatson21 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad

You can add the SSD in the mini with the existing HD. I think for it to be the boot drive (one with the OS) it may need to be where the existing HD is. Here is a link to a writeup on iFixit where they sell a dual HD installation kit about how to do this. Mac Mini Dual Hard Drive Kit - iFixit I've always just installed the OS from a Time Machine backup. If you want though you can go through the process of clean install of Lion by using the Recovery feature that is built into the original mini HD. Here's a link for that OS X Lion: About Lion Recovery Also you can just make your own Lion Recovery disk assistant and boot from it after installing the new SSD. Here's the link. Lion Recovery Disk Assistant Have a look at all those pages and it should give you a good idea of how to do this.
QUOTE Thanks
frankramos0023

Mac Specs: 2011 MacMini - 2.5ghz 128gb SSD + 500gb HDD, 2012 - MBP 2.4 ghz 256 gb SSD

pigoo3 (Nick) - I meant how can restart it to get it working again. Re - Installing the programs on the ssd.

Lbatson21 - I got the kit, or a kit like the one on ifixit. Okay, can I do this:

- install the new ssd on the original HD slot
- move the original slot to the 2nd one
- restart the mac
- install the OS on the ssd
- and clean out my old HD??
QUOTE Thanks
Lbatson21

Lbatson21 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad

Here's a good thread from someone who has done this. Confirmed: Adding a 2nd Hard Drive to Non-Server Minis - MacRumors Forums
QUOTE Thanks
frankramos0023

I got it, I should be good with this info. Thanks for the help guys!! Best buy didn't have the ssdi wanted do I'm going to go ahead and order it for next week.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need help with ibook G4 | Kernel Panic, Can't Use Safe Boot »