New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Preferences gone!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

theberzh

theberzh is on a distinguished road

I this is stupid but I accidentally deleted some of my preferences while trying to clean out some of my iMac. I tried to downgrade to 10.6.1 from 10.6.8 because it was giving me problems. I have a 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo if that helps. I am now using 10.6.1 and Safari 4.0.5. Everything runs great except for the fact that I can’t access the “Keyboard” in my System Preferences and strange things happen on my Safari when I hit certain keys on my keyboard. For example: I have to hit tab twice to go to the next text window and if I hit the spacebar while in a text window, the screen scrolls all the way to the bottom. The computer also remembers what I typed last in the windows and automatically defaults my curser to the end of what text is previously remembered in that window. When I try to delete it, it doesn’t let me delete anything because if I hit delete, it goes back a page. Very frustrating. And I haven’t set up my time machine so I can’t go back. If I try to access my “Keyboard” in the System Preferences, it crashes my System Preferences. Can someone please help me?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Bad things always seem to happen when downgrading. It's never a good idea to downgrade your version of OS X without doing a clean install. What kind of problems were you having that caused you to downgrade in the first place?

The only thing I can suggest is do a Time Machine backup first, erase your hard drive, and then reinstall Snow Leopard. Recover your data from Time Machine.
QUOTE Thanks
theberzh

Very slow speeds and I went into the preference folder and actually got rid of files by accident. I have done this before but when I downgraded, it must have done something to my keyboard functions.
QUOTE Thanks
theberzh

Shouldn't all my preferences be restored once I re-install my os anyway?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

A re-install should restore everything to the way it was before you downgraded. You will need to do that from your Snow Leopard DVD, Disk Utilities.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Pages program- iMac to macbookpro | Delete files in empty space »