New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

time machine and backing up my mbp

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mbp7

mbp7 is on a distinguished road

i realize that there are probably other ways to backup the mbp, but i hear alot about the time machine.

is the time machine a device that i need to buy that i can backup my mbp to?

sort of like a snapshot of images of the os that i have backed up?

that way if i restored to a clean version of my OS, i can connect it to the time machine and restore from a saved image of my OS from prior backups? or am i way off base?

thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Time Machine is a backup software included with OS X - not hardware - link.

You will need an external hard drive to use it. The price of your backup software/hardware should be considered and included as a part of the budget when pricing a new computer.

And you are exactly right, if you have a failed drive and have to replace - or just upgrade your drive down the road, just install the OS, connect your TM backup and restore back to the point of your latest backup.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Time Machine is actually a program used to perform backups. The confusion may come about because Apple also sells a Time Capsule which is combination basic network router/access point and hard drive in one unit.

You might find this article helpful. It's a little old but the basics are the same ATPM 15.03 - How To: Time Travel: Introduction to Time Machine

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
mbp7

thanks to both of you.

slydude- you might be right with the time capsule thing.

i think i have it, though...

connect an external drive, or a time capsule if i purchase that, and tell time machine, software on the mac, to backup to the external device.

if i have to start from scratch, i just have to plug in my hard drive with my backups, launch time machine, and tell it to restore from the latest backup on the external device/time capsule, if i buy one.

can time machine backup to a NAS device (no usb on the NAS, only network accessible and yes, the NAS is mac friendly, i just have to make sure i didn't turn that off)?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Depends on your NAS - some of them are TM friendly - some of them not - there was/is a workaround for those that are not - haven't looked it up in awhile.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
mbp7

Newegg.com - Apple MD032LL/A 2TB 2TB Time Capsule

this looks nice.

no LAN ports on it, is everything wireless?

i probably wouldnt use it as my main router for the network, does this thing have DHCP enabled by default?

edit- best buy pics show the LAN ports.
QUOTE Thanks
mbp7

Apple® - Time Capsule 2TB External Wireless Network Hard Drive - MD032LL/A

best buy is cheaper than newegg, wow, that is a first, for me.
QUOTE Thanks
mbp7

this might be a stupid question, but why do they list this:

Mac: OS X 10.5.7 or later

if you have 10.4.1 (using that number as an example) cant you just do a system update to get to the latest version? should i be careful about doing updates?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

No that won't work. Using your example that would get you the latest version of 10.4. To go beyond that you need to purchase a new version. In essence the update takes you to the latest version of what you have installed. It's similar to how Wondows Service Packs behave.

QUOTE Thanks
mbp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
No that won't work. Using your example that would get you the latest version of 10.4. To go beyond that you need to purchase a new version. In essence the update takes you to the latest version of what you have installed. It's similar to how Wondows Service Packs behave.
i dont follow.

if i was looking at a piece of hardware for windows xp and the requirements were windows xp sp3, assuming i had sp2, i would just download sp3 and then use my hardware.

my mac is 10.7.2, so it isnt an issue for me, but i would hate to recommend this to a friend that has an older mac os software and it ends up not working for them. which is why i just assumed you could upgrade your software before doing anything else.

of course, i am new at this and i might be missing

EDIT---wait, i think i got it...

10.4 is, lets say, windows vista and 10.5 is windows 7....so no matter how many updates you do with 10.4 vista, it will not be the new 10.5 windows 7 OS...am i getting warmer?

if so, that makes sense.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Right on target. Next time i'll explain a bit better. The next major change, say 10.4 to 10.5 for example must be purchased.

QUOTE Thanks
mbp7

if i purchase the 2tb TC can i dedicate 500gb for backups and 1.5tb for a network share?

or does it only do one thing...backing up my mbpro?
QUOTE Thanks
mbp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbp7 View Post
if i purchase the 2tb TC can i dedicate 500gb for backups and 1.5tb for a network share?

or does it only do one thing...backing up my mbpro?
bump.

time capsule has arrived.

i have another question. my mac instantly found my TC. i guess that is a good thing, but what happens when someone else brings a mac on my network?

the main screen of the TC had the password box and the verify password box. it seems that it would auto pop up for another mac user.

strange.

thanks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« boot camp boot screen? | Any issues re-installing 10.4 after upgrading? »