Question email account hacked, what to do?
    MBP 15" early 2008. Just for fun, on 11/11/11, I DLed and ran Sophos Antivirus Home Edition on my MBP, and lo and behold there were two threats that were removed. I have rerun the scan, and it remains clean.

However, today a whole bunch of unauthorized emails were sent using my gmail email address info, and my MBP was actually powered completely down when it happened. I have rechecked my MBP with Sophos. Nothing. The ONLY other machine that has my email account information on it is my iPhone. Any other computer I use the web-based client for Gmail.

Gmail did recently send me a warning message that my account had been having suspicious activity and they shut down my access. I went directly onto the site and put in a new password. Everything has been fine since, until today.

AFAIK, there are no virus scanners for iPhones that have not been jailbroken.

I have also checked the PC side of my MBP with Avast. It's clean also.

Not sure where to go from here. Any ideas?

Thanks.

SpikeDDS

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    I doubt you're infected with anything. More likely your GMail account has been compromised and is the launching pad for a SPAM bot. When that happens it's best to ask Google to shut the account down and just create another. Only this time use a strong password. You can have your mail forwarded from your old account to the new one until you get everyone notified of your new email address.

I have had that account for many, many years. I DON'T want to change my email if I don't absolutely have to. Would changing the password (which was a strong one, BTW) be enough?

Thanks.

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Should be - using a minimum 9 letters with a combo of Caps, numbers and characters.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Quote Originally Posted by spikedds View Post
    I have had that account for many, many years. I DON'T want to change my email if I don't absolutely have to. Would changing the password (which was a strong one, BTW) be enough?

Thanks.
    i would highly recommend changing your password.

i assume that you have done that by now, but that is the first step when your account is compromised (any account, not just email).

also, i would login and setup the security questions/cell number for your account.

that way if your password is compromised (not just the account) you have 'admin' access to change it. w/o setting up this information, google/gmail has no way to believe that you are the actual owner of the account.

some people setup 2 step verification, but it has been said that it is overkill, for some people, it is a personal preference.

How it works - Accounts Help

Thread Information