New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Migrating time machine backups to a new external HD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pulceblue

pulceblue is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I had to re-format my LaCie external hard drive where I had a volume with my Time Machine backups. Before reformatting I copied (by drag and drop) all the content of the folder "Backups.backupdb" on my desktop. To move back the content onto the externalo hard drive I did the following:

1. Fomatted the new volume as make sure to have a GUID partition and is formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
2. I dragged and dropped the content of the "Backups.backupdb" folder on my desktop onto the new TM partition on the external HD

These steps are somewhat similar to what suggested in an article I found on the apple support community "Mac OS X v10.6: How to transfer your backups from your current hard drive to a new hard drive" (Mac 101: Time Machine)

The size of the whole "Backups.backupdb" is approximately 150 GB and the partition for the TM is 500 GB. Nevertheless after indexing all the items in "Backups.backupdb" folder (during the prepare to copy phase) it says that there isn't enough space on the disk to copy the content. As additional note the indexing of all the items in the second copy/paste round (i.e. from the desktop to the newly formatted disk) took much longer than the indexing during the first round (i.e. from the disk to the desktop).

Can anyone help? What do I do wrong?
Thnaks a lot
Claudio
P.S. I am running MacOS Lion.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple Aficionado Coerced Into Windows, Help!! | Login issue after Migrating from PC »