New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Help! My MacBookpro won't start, how can I reinstall the disc?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tina661

Tina661 is on a distinguished road

Ok so first off I'm a brand new Mac user. Normally a pc kind of girl. So all the technology and terminology for Mac I do not yet understand (think Mac for dummies is what I need). I've had this Mac for a few months and within the last few days my main user authentication wouldn't work so id use the computer in guest mode. Then guest mode started getting slower. So I borrowed the Mac is install discs from a friend. When I tried to put them in, it froze my computer completely and now it won't get pass the apple logo thinking mode. I tried to reboot in safe mode and get an error io/5. I tried to hit option while restarting and the disc comes up but when I click On it, it goes to a screen with a bunch of writing that says to power off and reboot (which when I do the grey apple thinking screen pops back up). I don't know how to do anything else and can't sign in at all anymore. I'm getting frustrated and just need simple terms on how and if this is fixable. Can anyone pleaseeee help?
QUOTE Thanks
Tina661

Ok, so I managed to get it started from safe mode (after several tries), is there a way I can run the install disk now to try and clean the computer? I was only able to sign into guest mode again, still not my main user.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Unfortunately, using someone else's install discs probably won't help as they're usually tailored to the machine they're sold with. I take it yours are lost or are otherwise unavailable?

Can you tell us a bit more about your MacBook Pro? Approximately age and version of OS X would help tremendously.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Tina661

Well my friends MacBook was same year, same model, same everything so figured the disc would work? Anyway this is what I pulled up about it Its a MacBook Pro using Mac OS X Version 10.6.8 with 2.3GHz Interl Core i5, 4gb memory. I don't know much else except it is a new mac, I bought it earlier this year brand new so I shouldn't be having these problems already. Then again, this is my first Mac so I know nothing. So, on a side note, I deleted the OLD administrator and created a new one and it now starts up BUT it starts up VERY slow (the thinking wheel keeps spinning and a blue screen appears before the sign inbut does eventually let me sign into the new admin). Things still seem to be running slow when using Safari. I'm up and running where I can use it now, but because its slow I'm pretty sure if I don't figure out how to fix things I will just encounter the same issues again. I did an update after erasing the old admin and have tried to reset several times with the same outcome each time.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

OK, have a look here:

Mac-Forums Blog Mac Hardware Basic Mac Troubleshooting

Let us know how you make out. And do remember that if it's less than a year old, you're still well within your warranty period. You can always being it down to the Apple Store.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Halo Combat Evolved Error | vmware fusion antivirus »