New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Terminal command returns unwanted response.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ImageX

ImageX will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5

Just as the title says, I'm following a step-by-step guide to Terminal commands for making a bootable Chromium OS USB drive and getting a dead end. After entering
Code:
sudo diskutil unmountDisk diskX
(where X = my disk identifier) and successfully unmounting the disk, it has me uncompress the .img file and doesn't say I need to put it somewhere specific. It continues to have me execute
Code:
sudo dd if=ChromeOS.img of=/dev/rdiskX bs=4m
(again X = identifier) while making sure the "ChromeOS.img" matches the file name I have and it returns "dd: ChromeOS.img: No such file or directory.". Can someone help me here? I'll admit I don't know enough about Terminal commands to understand if I'm putting the wrong file path or w/e and I'm just copying the directions. If someone can let me know, you'll get a "Thank you". Thanks, haha.

- ImageX

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Remember to use the Reputation System!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

The if switch here signifies the input file. The way you have it set now assumes that "ChromeOS.img" is in the current working directory. As the error informs you, dd can't find the image in the directory that you're currently working in. Your best bet (and the easiest solution): put the full path to the ChromeOS image as the value for the if switch. So, for example, if ChromeOS.img was in ~/Desktop, change the command to:
Code:
sudo dd if=~/Desktop/ChromeOS.img of=/dev/rdiskX bs=4m
Out of curiosity, what disk is /dev/rdiskX? I've never seen an "rdisk" device file in OS X before.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
ImageX

Thanks for the response. It seems to be working now. To be honest, I don't even know what rdisk means. Like I said, I'm just following step-by-step guide on how to make a bootable Chrome OS USB drive. The drive in this case is my 4GB Flash drive. Thanks again.

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

You need to double check the of switch value then. The of switch value is the output disk. Are you sure that /dev/rdiskX (X meaning a disk number) is the flash drive? Did you check this at some point while going through the steps?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
ImageX

Yes, I checked my Flash Drive's identifier in disk utility before doing this. It was disk1.

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

disk1 or rdisk1? Sorry if I seem pedantic here but this difference can be the source of drastic consequences (plus, like I said, I've never seen an rdisk device file before).

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
ImageX

It was "disk1" and even in his guide he was assuming the ID would be diskX not rdiskX so I'm not sure why, but the guide said to use rdiskX in that code and when I hit enter my USB drive's activity light was flashing and it completed successfully. And I don't have a problem with you asking these questions lol. I'd like to know why it said to use it as rdisk also. Seems to have worked though. Going to try and boot it on my Windows PC now.

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

It appears that rdisk is simply a raw device file. This allows you to bypass the filesystem's cache & buffer which makes writes quicker. I assume though that this increases the risk of problems that are offset by making use of the filesystem's caching features. I'll have to defer to a *nix nerd here though.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Let us know if the Flash Drive Chrome OS works. I did that ages ago when the beta of Chrome OS came out. Same commands with DD but no rdisk!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Yeah, as I understand it (I'm stretching my knowledge here), you don't need the "r" in front. Doing so only ensure that you interact with the drive as a raw device.

And yes, please do let us know how it works out. Are you building it from source? Last time I tried, it didn't go well.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Installing Flash | Is iTunes/iOS5 causing connection problems? »