New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

ibook g4 upgrade

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jumpngo2

jumpngo2 is on a distinguished road

I m looking to upgrade my son's old ibook g4 for the sole purpose of using it with my ipad 1, which only occasionally requires a computer for upgrades, printing etc...this machine currently has OS X 10.4.11. I think I need to upgrade to Leopard, then Snow Leopard to get the version of Itunes i need. Right? I have been looking on ebay for leopard and see a wide range of prices ($50-$300) for what appears to be the same item. Can someone fill in the blanks on the specs I need for this? Is a previously used (only used once....) one ok or do I need new in box. Does it need to be specific to my exact model? other things to look for?

thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

This iBook G4 can be upgraded to 10.5 "Leopard"...but it cannot be upgraded to Snow Leopard. Snow Leopard requires an Intel cpu.

As far as e-Bay...not sure exactly what you're looking at...but what you want is the 10.5 Leopard install disk that's "dark" colored with a BIG X on it.

You do not want a gray/silver colored disk!

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
jumpngo2

does this mean that upgrading to leopard won't allow me to use it with my ipad as intended?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

as said, the G4 will not be upgradable to snow leopard, SL requires an intel powered mac

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpngo2 View Post
does this mean that upgrading to leopard won't allow me to use it with my ipad as intended?
Need additional information:

- What application(s) do you need to use between your iBook G4 and iPad?
- What version of those applications do you need?

Once you answer these questions...we can better provide an answer.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
jumpngo2

thanks nick. i know i need access to Itunes- not sure what is the minimum version i need to add music, photos to my ipad. i was hoping the forum could help me figure that out. i posted this in the ipad forum too
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
thanks nick. i know i need access to Itunes- not sure what is the minimum version i need to add music, photos to my ipad. i was hoping the forum could help me figure that out. i posted this in the ipad forum too
Here's where we find that info:

Apple - iPad 2 - View the technical specifications for iPad 2.

Scroll down to "System Requirements"...and it states that a minimum of Mac OS 10.5.8 is needed...and iTunes 10.5 or later (see free download link).

HTH,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
jumpngo2

Poor Nick, you will never be rid of me....thanks for the education. i have the original ipad, which requires 10.5 OS and Itunes "10.1 or later" to quote the specs. My current itunes on the laptop is 9.1. i looked at the specs for Leopard but saw nothing on whether upgrading to that OS will give me the ability to upgrade to the proper itunes. How do I find that out. Google search gave me no luck? Thanks for your continued patient assistance.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Poor Nick, you will never be rid of me....thanks for the education. i have the original ipad, which requires 10.5 OS and Itunes "10.1 or later" to quote the specs. My current itunes on the laptop is 9.1. i looked at the specs for Leopard but saw nothing on whether upgrading to that OS will give me the ability to upgrade to the proper itunes. How do I find that out. Google search gave me no luck? Thanks for your continued patient assistance.
Yeah...I meant to ask if you had an iPad 1 or iPad 2...since the requirements might be a bit different (and it does seem that the iTunes requirement is different).

Here's some info that should help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITunes_version_history

- Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard) was released October, 2007
- iTunes 10.1 was released November, 2010

iTunes 10.1 was released roughly 3 years after OS 10.5...so no worries.

When you install Leopard (OS 10.5)...run "Software Update"...and it will update you to OS 10.5.8...AND "Software Update" will also update iTunes to the latest version as well.

Good luck,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« writing terminal code | Watching Live TV on MAC OSX? »