New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

new user

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dunnthat

dunnthat is on a distinguished road

I recently acquired a G4 ibook from ebay. it came with no books, no disks and no information. of course the seller was not the original owner. I need to be able to see what operating system I have. not sure if it is tiger or leopard. The only thing I can come up with 10.4.11. I also do not have the original master password and would love to be able to reset it, but do not know how. Have been considering wiping the hard drive and re-installing OS. Any advice from anyone would be so helpful. I am new to the world of mac. Am really excited about getting started, but being new, I am sure I am going to have a lot of questions.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

OS X 10.4 is Tiger. I think you'd definitely be better off doing a clean install but someone else will have to chime in with what OS that pc will support.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnthat View Post
I recently acquired a G4 ibook from ebay. it came with no books, no disks and no information. of course the seller was not the original owner. I need to be able to see what operating system I have. not sure if it is tiger or leopard. The only thing I can come up with 10.4.11. I also do not have the original master password and would love to be able to reset it, but do not know how. Have been considering wiping the hard drive and re-installing OS. Any advice from anyone would be so helpful. I am new to the world of mac. Am really excited about getting started, but being new, I am sure I am going to have a lot of questions.
You will need a set of OS disks to do the reset and reinstall. All but the earliest iBook G4s were capable of Leopard 10.5. The first iteration with the 800MHz CPU were limited to OS 10.4.11 (Tiger).

OS disks are available on eBay, though expensive. Expect to pay $80 to $100 USD. And, this is critical:

MAKE SURE YOU PURCHASE RETAIL OS DISKS, NOT OEM!

Excuse the shout, but sometimes this point is hard to get accross. Retail disks are Black, OEM disks are Gray or Silver and are machine specific, thus will not work with your iBook.
Finding an OEM disk for your machine at this point is about like winning the lottery, not impossible, but don't hold your breath.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
dunnthat

dunnthat is on a distinguished road

I need to add that it is a 133ghz processor with 768mb memory. and a 55gig hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
I need to add that it is a 133ghz processor with 768mb memory. and a 55gig hard drive.
1.33 GHz instead of 133 GHz?

Anyway, see my previous post. You should be able to run Leopard or Tiger.

EDIT: depending on which Model No iBook you have, it originally shipped with either 10.3 (Panther) or 10.4 (Tiger). If it is the latter, your odds of finding the exact OEM disks are a little better, but you are still better off getting the retail disks as they will install on any machine capable of supporting the OS (with the caveat that you can't run old OS on a newer Mac because it will lack drivers needed to support new hardware).

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
I assume that's 1.33ghz, not 133ghz. Otherwise, you've got yourself quite the supercomputer there.

Here are the system requirements for Leopard (10.5). You can put Leopard on it but you'll want to put more RAM in the machine (yes, you meet the minimum but barely).

As BrianLachoreVPI mentioned, you'll probably want to wipe the machine and as Razormac noted, you'll need the black retail disc which will be hard to find.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« IPhot wuery | upgrade to Snow Leopard takes out scanner »