New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

MacMail no longer compatible - please help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thejackinthepac

thejackinthepac is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Sometime ago MacMail was uninstalled from my system. I am currently using Leopard OSX 10.5.8 on a 2008 Macbook and I tried to re-install the MacMail application from my installations CDs, which it did. It installed version 3.4 of MacMail.

However, when I come to open it, it says "you cannot use this version of Mail with this version of Mac OSX". To the best of my knowledge, 3.4 was the ONLY version I've ever had on my Macbook (like I say, it got uninstalled some time back as I didn't use it).

I have tried the Software Update feature which does not prompt for anything and I do not know how to update/install a working version. I have read the other threads and nothing seems to be working. There is no "Mail.plist" in my library, and no other versions of Mail exist on my system.

Please can anyone help me?? I need a Mail client and Thunderbird isn't cutting it. I also do not use MobileMe nor have Time Machine setup so there is nothing I can "jump back to" to restore it.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The reason your version of Mac Mail isn't working with Leopard 10.5.8 is because it was updated several times along with Leopard. Likely you're several versions behind.

What's wrong with Thunderbird? I'm currently using version 8 (the latest) and it works just fine for both mail and news.

EDIT: Please do not cross post! Only post to one forum and continue following that thread. Your cross post has been removed.
QUOTE Thanks
thejackinthepac

There's no problem with Thunderbird, I just don't like it as much as MacMail (seems less responsive); but I'd like to be able to update my Mac program, but none of the updates I've downloaded allow me to do anything.

I downloaded Mail Update

but got the error message "You cannot install Mail Update on this volume. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update."

Any suggestions?

[Apologies for cross-posting]
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Why don't you try an Archive and Install which Leopard allows? In other words, reinstall Leopard over itself. All your data and documents will be preserved in a separate folder. After that, use software update to bring Leopard up to the latest. Or, buy a copy of Snow Leopard from the Apple Store ($29.99) and install it over Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
thejackinthepac

I have managed to fix the problem now. Many thanks to those who tried to help!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Slow Web Page Downloads | Upgrading iBookG4 to Leopard 10.5.8 »