Thread: AHT Error

AHT Error
    I have an iMac 20" 1GB ram 250GB HDD. Recently taking extremely long to load and shutdown & sometimes it just gets stuck on the grey apple loading screen w/spinning wheel on startup. I've tried rebooting into safe boot and single user. works temporarily when safe booted. reset permissions in single user mode and still have the same problems. For some reason it will not let me boot into verbose only get blinking folder w/? on it which happens sometimes when i attempt the aht. I didnt have many important files so i attempted wiping hdd clean and reinstalling os. But it still does the same thing. I finally ran the aht and got error code 4HDD/11/40000000:SATA(0,0). What does this mean? is my hdd or hdd cable shot?

Yes, you have analyzed it correctly - either the hard drive or the cable -- and we can't tell which without experimenting/swapping.

Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    I've tried rebooting into safe boot and single user. works temporarily when safe booted. reset permissions in single user mode and still have the same problems.
    Very likely the hard drive. If the SATA cable were bad, you couldn't do the above. An iMac is a bear to swap out a hard drive but can be done with patience and the right tools. Go to iFixit: The free repair manual and look up the procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Very likely the hard drive. If the SATA cable were bad, you couldn't do the above. An iMac is a bear to swap out a hard drive but can be done with patience and the right tools. Go to iFixit: The free repair manual and look up the procedure.
    Guess I'll give it a shot. I tooled around w/numerous pcs & gaming systems but never a Mac. Never really had a problem w/one till now. Always wondered how they get everything to fit in there. Seems pretty cramped.

Specs:
    27" 5K iMac, 3.3GHz, 256GB Flash Storge, 16GB memory and OS X.11.3.
    If it is the G5 model, your post does not give machine specs, this is a manual from Apple on doing the job:-

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/ima..._harddrive.pdf
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Thread Information