New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

How to log out *background* users from command line

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

asiajason

asiajason is on a distinguished road

I'm looking for a way to log out a background user who forgot to log out - from the terminal.

I know this is trivial in the *nix world, just killing a process probably; I just can't find the command to do it in Mac's flavor (I'm a casual *nix shell user)

BTW, I don't want the Prefs->Security->General "logout after inactivity" setting.... that logs out everybody (including me) and I can't have my account logged out (due to running processes).

this is the closest I have gotten so far: but this will obviously log me out.
osascript -e 'tell application "System Events" to log out'

Thank you,
Jason
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

I'm having a tough time finding a way to do this with Terminal. A couple tricks I read of and tried that involved killing the "loginwindow" process for another user didn't work as expected. At the moment, here's the best solution I can find but involves a 3rd party utility:
How to log out a fast switched user
QUOTE Thanks
asiajason

Excellent tip. This looks like it's going to work fine. I'm testing right now....

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Remember, OS X is Unix so if there's some technique that you know of in Unix, it may work here. Now, the variants of Unix are all quite different so I can't guarantee this is the case here. What do you do on a *nix box to accomplish this?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Remember, OS X is Unix so if there's some technique that you know of in Unix, it may work here. Now, the variants of Unix are all quite different so I can't guarantee this is the case here. What do you do on a *nix box to accomplish this?
well, something like...

kill -9 `ps -u <username> | grep -v PID | awk '{ printf ("%s ", $1); }'`

would accomplish this it's ummm well, kinda forceful though

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Code:
echo "ARE YOU SURE!?!?!? PRESS ENTER IF YOU'RE SURE!" ; read
Does that help to soften it up?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

well, getting rid of the -9 might be friendlier

mike
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

You mean the yelling to ensure the confidence of the user wasn't enough?

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Oh I'm ALWAYS sure of my commands when I issue them

mike
QUOTE Thanks
asiajason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
well, something like...

would accomplish this it's ummm well, kinda forceful though
This is what I'm looking for - more-so than the 3rd party program.

However, when I try this, the <username> is an invalid argument of "ps". Should this be user ID?

When I do $ps -u, I only see my username.
$ps -A lists a lot of processes, but I don't see any from the other users in the background....

Can you help correct this?
QUOTE Thanks
asiajason

Hi Dysfunction: can you help me correct the argument <username> problem?
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Umm yea, it should be a valid username, without the <>'s

Oh and you'd need to issue that with either root or superuser authority.

mike
QUOTE Thanks
asiajason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
Umm yea, it should be a valid username, without the <>'s

Oh and you'd need to issue that with either root or superuser authority.
oops, I see how my comment would be misinterpreted... I meant that when I use a valid username - it gives errors. I changed lower case 'u' (userID) to upper case 'U' (username) and that seems to kill everything for that user.

The user still shows up in the FSU list however, and switching to that user hangs the GUI/console - so it's definitely not clean! But it is an option, and I thank you!

Thanks greatly!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Ohhh ok, gotcha. But I think it's the opposite, that username is lowercase and UID is upper.

Yea, it's not the cleanest method in the world. It's a bit like hitting a nail with a sledgehammer

mike
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« time Machine experts needed, sparsebundle problem | Everything freezing suddenly. beachball. random. for no reason at all »