New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OSX wont download on Power Mac G4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

keefgras

keefgras is on a distinguished road

I just got a Power Mac G4 M8493 from a friend who got it at an auction. It came with 2 Disks. When I insert them the computer says MAC OSX cannot be installed on this computer.The discs are Mac OS X version 10.5.4
Disk 1:2Z691-6304-A dISK 2: 2Z691-6249-A. They both have the Apple Icon and the Mac smiley face on them.Im not sure if they are the right OS software.If not does anyone know the right one. I dont know much at all about Apple computers but would like to get this one running for the kids.Its a Power Mac G4 M8493 Serial # XB21903SM1X. Apple said it had 2002 software on it.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by keefgras View Post
I just got a Power Mac G4 M8493 from a friend who got it at an auction. It came with 2 Disks. When I insert them the computer says MAC OSX cannot be installed on this computer.The discs are Mac OS X version 10.5.4
Disk 1:2Z691-6304-A dISK 2: 2Z691-6249-A. They both have the Apple Icon and the Mac smiley face on them.Im not sure if they are the right OS software.If not does anyone know the right one. I dont know much at all about Apple computers but would like to get this one running for the kids.Its a Power Mac G4 M8493 Serial # XB21903SM1X. Apple said it had 2002 software on it.
According to MacTracker, depending on which CPU you have, your maximum supported OS is either Leopard (10.5) or Tiger (10.4). In either case you need to make sure you have retail OS disks (Black Disks) rather than gray machine specific as the gray disks will not install on your machine.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

The model number matches a 2002 Quicksilver G4. They were released in 733MHz, 800 MHz Dualprocessor and an 867MHz. Leopard will only install on the 867MHz machine without using involved programs to pull the wool over the machine's yes.

For the 733 and 800MHz Tiger OS X.4 is the go and note what Razormac says about not purchasing silver/grey model specific discs.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
keefgras

Thank you for replying.I do have the grey Discs.Im not familiar with Apple and the Leopard/Tiger software so please excuse me.When I turn the computer on without software all I get is the smiley face.Can I get pass that screen anyhow? I think the hard drive was formated.When I put the Disc in Im able to open computer up and get some information.After it reads that Mac OSX cannot be installed on this machine I click OK and then click at top of screen on Utilities and on the drop down bar I click System Profiler and I got this Info.

Model Name: Power Mac G4
Model Identifier: Power Mac 3.5
Processor Name: Power PC G4 (2.1)
Processor Speed: 1 GHZ.
Number of CPUs: 2
L2 Cashe: (per cpu) 256 KB
L3 Cashe: (per cpu) 2MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 133 MHZ
Boot Rom Version: 4.3.3F2
Serial#: XB21903SM1X
Sales Order# 0100601568XB21903

I would appreciate any help I can get.
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

You need to get a suitable Install DVD. A gray one for your exact model (not easy to do), or a retail one for Tiger 10.4.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

According to MacTracker, the dual 1GHz model is capable of running Leopard (OS X 10.5.8), but unless the disks you currently have were original to your model (unlikely since your machine refuses to take them) you are going to have to purchase a set of OS Disks.
What you need to look for is OS X 10.5 Leopard, Retail. The disks in the two disk set will be Black (not silver/gray).

You could also run Tiger (OS X 10.4) if you wished, but better off IMO to go with the latest compatible.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

And if you wish to install Leopard you will need to go to eBay and such and make sure you only purchase the black full retail install DVD. Hold your breath when you check the price, as it will set you back $100-$150.00.

The original OS X install disc was Puma OS X.1 so that explains why any later original install discs simply will not work.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
keefgras

Thanks to everyone for your quick responce.Im pretty sure they arent the original discs because they say 2008 on them. Im going to look on E-bay but I really dont know where to start.Im guessing Leopard and Tiger are retailors.I dont want to purchace the wrong Discs for my friends daughter,so can anybody steer me in the right direction.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by keefgras View Post
Thanks to everyone for your quick responce.Im pretty sure they arent the original discs because they say 2008 on them. Im going to look on E-bay but I really dont know where to start.Im guessing Leopard and Tiger are retailors.I dont want to purchace the wrong Discs for my friends daughter,so can anybody steer me in the right direction.
Telling retail from OEM is very easy!

Retail: Disks are BLACK

OEM: Disks are GRAY or SILVER

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What is the Maximum Ram for Mac Pro | Can't get past log in »