New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

writing terminal code

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lherriman

lherriman is on a distinguished road

Could somebody please tell me how to write code into terminal that would cause my mac book pro to not accept anything into the external drives when it is logged out?
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

I'm pretty sure you mean:
"Tell me how to execute a Terminal command" ?
(not the same as writing code - at least, not to me)

I just looked and my external is owned by root, a member of the group admin! (I'm a member of the admin group, too)
So I don't think there's an easy and troublefree way to do that.
Are other potential users admin users? If not, then it's easy.
QUOTE Thanks
lherriman

no there are no other user accounts on the computer. I just know a guy that has third party software that would bypass my login screen. I am looking for a way to block him out.
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

So, it sounds like the only way he can get into your computer is by using your password. Does he have your password?
Change your password to something more secure.
QUOTE Thanks
lherriman

No, he does not have my password. He has a third-party software disc that he puts into the computer that will hack my administrator account and allow him to change the password.
QUOTE Thanks
lherriman

If you do not know any terminal commands, then maybe you could tell me how to rewrite part of the computer's code in the system. I don't really know what to do. I was thinking that I could maybe rewrite the code so that the computer would not accept anything into the external drives when it is logged out. That would keep him from putting in his disc.
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

So you're saying that someone else has physical access to your computer, and you can't stop him?

Then you need a firmware password.
Setting up firmware password protection in Mac OS X
for newer Macs that shipped with 10.6,
10.6: Set a firmware password from the command line - Mac OS X Hints
for 10.7,
Setting an EFI Password on Mac Computers (Models Late 2010 or Later) .: JAMF Software Knowledge Base
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lherriman View Post
no there are no other user accounts on the computer. I just know a guy that has third party software that would bypass my login screen. I am looking for a way to block him out.
Quote:
No, he does not have my password. He has a third-party software disc that he puts into the computer that will hack my administrator account and allow him to change the password.
You've got a larger problem here than a simple software issue. As I understand it here, someone is doing something to "hack" your account but to do so, they need access to your machine. The simple answer here is to not let this person use your machine. Second, if they really wanted to access your external HD, they would just take it. I'd suggest that the real issue here is a personal one and not a technical one.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
lherriman

Yes, I have a firmware password. He can just bypass that too.
QUOTE Thanks
lherriman

Quote:
You've got a larger problem here than a simple software issue. As I understand it here, someone is doing something to "hack" your account but to do so, they need access to your machine. The simple answer here is to not let this person use your machine. Second, if they really wanted to access your external HD, they would just take it. I'd suggest that the real issue here is a personal one and not a technical one.

Yes, the person does have access to my computer. I don't have an external HD though. It seems to me like there should be a way to keep him out even if he has access to my computer. If you know of any ways I would really appreciate it.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Could somebody please tell me how to write code into terminal that would cause my mac book pro to not accept anything into the external drives when it is logged out?
If you don't have an external HD, what do you mean by "external drives"?

Quote:
Yes, the person does have access to my computer. I don't have an external HD though. It seems to me like there should be a way to keep him out even if he has access to my computer. If you know of any ways I would really appreciate it.
It would seem like this person really knows what they're doing assuming they are able to bypass all security measures. Thus (as noted above), the best way to get around this is to simply prevent this person from accessing your machine. You may also want to think of legal action - depending on your jurisdiction, what this person is doing may be against the law (I'm not a lawyer so you'll have to look into this). I'd approach this person first since the legal route should probably be a last resort.

Who is this person anyway?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

First and foremost, there is really no way to prevent accessing a machine someone has physical access to. Period.

Personally, I'd suggest a safe.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
lherriman

No, I don't have an external HD. Sorry, I meant into the disc drive or any of the usb ports. Yes, they are pretty smart. But it's all in this disc that he has. He doesn't really do much except put the disc into the drive. And it's just a person that I know. He doesn't use the disc on anyone's computer unless they have forgotten the password or something like that. He's never used it on my computer. I just was wondering if there was a way to stop something like that from happening to my computer.
QUOTE Thanks
lherriman

Quote:
First and foremost, there is really no way to prevent accessing a machine someone has physical access to. Period.

Personally, I'd suggest a safe.
That kinda sucks. I mean if there is a way for someone to get into a computer like that then it seems to me that there should be a way to stop it. Thanks for your help though.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Thanks for providing some clarity. It had sounded as if this person was doing this on a regular basis to you. Who is this person anyway? A friend? IT?

There's nothing we can do if we don't know what software he's using. I also feel the need to repeat what I said earlier - don't let them get access to your machine. You have a MacBook Pro and you can therefore bring it with you. Again, it seems like the larger issue though is trust. Talk to this person if you know them and if not, like I said, prevent them from getting access to your machine.

Technically, there are two kernel extensions that control the operation of your optical drive. I suppose that it's possible to disable them somehow upon logging out (unload them, move them, etc) but doing so would require some technical expertise and risks breaking things.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« no icloud for me ? | ibook g4 upgrade »