New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

How do you erase Apple Mail App from Lion

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

terrymurphy

terrymurphy is on a distinguished road

Hate it and can not seem to erase the app. Anyone know how?
QUOTE Thanks
DavidHH

DavidHH has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini

Why would you want to erase it, why not just install your favourite mail app on your Mac and leave it alone?

DavidH
QUOTE Thanks
terrymurphy

For a couple of reasons. I use Gmail, but Apple Mail is the default when you hit an email address. I can't see how to make it the default. Second reason is I need the the disk space.
QUOTE Thanks
dekan

dekan is a jewel in the roughdekan is a jewel in the rough

Mail is less than 70mb in space. You are that low on space?

Clicking on an email address will always open an email app on a computer (Windows does the same, btw). gmail can be set up with Mac Mail - if you don't like that, there is a number of other apps out there you could use instead. I guess right now you are going to gmail through a browser - you won't be able to activate this when you click onto an email address.

If you really want to erase this app - What have you tried? Usually you should be able to got into your Applications folder and just move the app to the trash. If that doesn't work, doing so through the Terminal might be another option. I'd stay away from it though. Not sure how integrated Mac Mail is into the system - you might run into issues if it's removed.

QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

Tried right clicking the app, get info, changing the permissions to everyone-r/w then deleting?

I agree, btw. Dont like the app. Its my computer, let me delete what i want. *cough*windows*cough*internet explorer*cough*
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad3, AppleTV2

Can't help with erasing Mail (though I'd suggest getting a new hard disk if you're that short of space) but I can help with the default mail issue.

Download and install Gmail Notifier. It's preferences allow you to specify the default mail client, including a browser.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
terrymurphy

Thanks robduckyworth . That did it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need help: drives won't load after Disk Utility crash | Problems: need guidance »