New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Should I upgrade from Snow Leopard to Lion?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nicolesmithweb

nicolesmithweb is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook Pro, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 4 GB RAM

I purchased my first MacBook Pro two months ago, and I was disappointed to learn it came with Snow Leopard and thought I would immediately spend $30 to upgrade to Lion. After reading Lion's reviews online, though, I decided not to. Supposedly Lion is the Mac version of Windows Vista? And as a previous Windows user who upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7, I can tell you, Windows Vista sucked! And I was disappointed yet again to hear that Lion sucked like Vista.

After reading more recent updates, it seems that some of the issues that first came with Lion have been fixed, but I don't know enough about these issues to make a decision.

I would like to upgrade to Lion not only to stay current and protect myself from any vulnerabilities Snow Leopard may have, and I would like to use iCloud, however, I don't want to regret my decision.

Can anyone provide me with their own experience and honest opinion? I would really appreciate it.

Also, I LOVE my Mac. Definitely worth the investment. My husband still has a Windows laptop, and it lags so much, even with it being brand new. The only lag I've experienced with my Mac was when I was doing photo editing on large file sizes, but I'm not a photo editor, so this brief moment of lagging didn't bother me.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolesmithweb View Post
Supposedly Lion is the Mac version of Windows Vista?
I'm not sure where you read/heard this...but I've never heard this analogy! And if someone did write or say that...I would tell them flat out that they're WRONG!!!

If you want to upgrade to Lion go for it. But if everything is fine with Snow Leopard (if you still have concerns about Lion)...and you don't have any sort of "driving force" to upgrade to Lion...then just stay with Snow Leopard for the time being.

But there's really nothing to be concerned about with Lion. If you do decide to upgrade to Lion (and do the download)...DON'T forget to "burn" a Lion "boot disk" (or a bootable USB stick) BEFORE the Lion install!

HTH,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Vista definitely "sucked" as you put it. In fact, Vista was the straw that sent me to OS X. I can assure you that Lion is nothing like Vista - it's just an incremental change from Snow Leopard - the perspective on those changes will vary depending on who you ask.

Also - If you bought your MBP new just 2 months ago - I'm pretty sure you can get Lion at no charge.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking a poll is not really necessary. It's really not a popularity contest. Do it if you want...or don't do it if you don't want. It's a personal choice.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Lion is NOT the OSX Vista. Not in the least. Vista was a bloated OS that dragged on all but the latest hardware. Lion if anything is a bit faster than Snow Leopard and has a smaller footprint.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Two months ago? If it was new contact Apple support explaining you did not receive Lion or a voucher for the free download from the App Store. All Macs sold after the release date back in July cam with Lion installed.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
nicolesmithweb

I bought it from Best Buy, and it was refurbished (returned within someone else's 14 days return period). I also looked into the free upgrade, but I think I read somewhere that had to have been done within 30 days of purchase.

Also, I hope Photoshop CS5 works with the upgrade because I use it daily.
QUOTE Thanks
karlos2000

karlos2000 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Intel MacBookPro 15" Lion OS. iPad2, iPhone 4S, + 13" MacBook + eMac + G4, fanboy since 1985

Still wishing I stayed with Snow Leopard. Gestures are great, but on the whole Lion sucks.

chances are I think you are a douche.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlos2000 View Post
Still wishing I stayed with Snow Leopard. Gestures are great, but on the whole Lion sucks.
Can you elaborate beyond "Lion sucks"? What exactly is bothering you?
QUOTE Thanks
bluethunder

bluethunder is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Sept. '07 white 13" MacBook 8,2 - 10.7.5

I think entire operating system updates every 18 months is ridiculous. JMHO. I went from 10.3 to 10.6, and I only did that because I came to need something that wasn't supported anymore on 10.3. I will not be spending any money on Lion. My computer works fine the way it is.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

10.3 barely even works. Safari will not even go to many sites without error. You can use Firefox but only an old version which has it's own issues.
QUOTE Thanks
Andres87

Andres87 will become famous soon enough

if you like speed stay with Snow Leopard and before I get tons of comments yes I did a fresh install of Lion and I'm using a 2011 MPB
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluethunder View Post
I think entire operating system updates every 18 months is ridiculous. JMHO. I went from 10.3 to 10.6, and I only did that because I came to need something that wasn't supported anymore on 10.3. I will not be spending any money on Lion. My computer works fine the way it is.
You're way behind the times "big guy". If you think that you can go "cruising" thru "computer-land" running OS 10.3 for the next 5, 10, or 20 years...you're in for a BIG surprise!

By the way...OS 10.3 was released October, 2003...that's 8 years ago! How much time do you feel there should be between OS upgrades/releases?

The reason you had to update to OS 10.6 from 10.3 (because you needed something that was no longer supported in 10.3)...this is one of the main reasons why many people do an OS upgrade.

Many folks are still doing just fine running OS 10.4, 10.5, and 10.6...you don't have to upgrade to Lion if you don't want to. Many folks that do update to Lion...do it for the same reason you upgraded to 10.6...because they needed the compatibility that 10.7 brings for something that they do.

10.7 Lion is a great update...with some great features. Also...the upgrade price for Lion (10.7) is VERY reasonable. Traditionally Apple charged $99-$129 dollars for an OS upgrade...but with OS 10.6 & 10.7...each has ONLY cost $29. Compare that to the Windows OS upgrades (Windows 7) which cost $100-$200...or more!

Apple also makes the upgrade process very easy (one choice)...not like Windows which makes things VERY confusing with what seems to be a "bazillion" different OS packages!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
nicolesmithweb

The comments and poll are literally 50/50. $30 is definitely reasonable, but I would hate to lose compatibility with any of my applications, particularly Photoshop.

Also, say I did upgrade... Should I do a clean install or just do the upgrade? I read somewhere that always upgrading can cause the computer to run slower.

Decisions, decisions!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolesmithweb View Post
The comments and poll are literally 50/50.
Yeah...I was going to mention that earlier. Many times when you ask a "bimodal question" (2 choices)...and if there's not a clear or obvious choice between the two...you end up back where you started (making the decision on your own)...since many times you'll end up with close to a 50/50 split in a poll!

Like I mentioned earlier. If you have a "need" to upgrade to 10.7...then do it. If you don't currently have a need...than stick with 10.6 until you have a reason to upgrade.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Terminal Mistake (need to undo) | help me tame lion! »