New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Start up Sound

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Top-Cat

Top-Cat is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27 (2011) Intel Core i5 Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz Total Number of Cores: 4 Memory: 12 GB

Hi, how can I stop the annoying start up sound on my Imac? it is driving me nuts

"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

The startup chime is controlled by the master volume settings. So, the easiest thing to do is to just mute the machine before you turn it off.

But barring that, a quick Google search found this utility:

Turn off/mute/disable your Mac

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Top-Cat

Mac Specs: iMac 27 (2011) Intel Core i5 Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz Total Number of Cores: 4 Memory: 12 GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
The startup chime is controlled by the master volume settings. So, the easiest thing to do is to just mute the machine before you turn it off.

But barring that, a quick Google search found this utility:

Turn off/mute/disable your Mac
Many thanks, thanks for the info I was able to sorted it now

QUOTE Thanks
bluethunder

bluethunder is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Sept. '07 white 13" MacBook 8,2 - 10.7.5

I use that very utility, and I can tell you that the start up chime will still sound off about 1 out of five times for no apparent reason, even though when I check the setting, the start up volume is down. I just about go through the roof when it does.

We bought my wife a used laptop off of ebay identical to mine that does not have that utility, yet has never sounded off the start up chime even once. I'd love to know what the guy did to it, but I don't know how to find out. I know that there is a better way to shut off the noise than this start up volume control that likes to fail at the most inopportune times. I've looked and looked and can't find it. I'm still looking.

Any other ideas I haven't been able to find?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I've been using the Arcana Startup Preference Pane since Leopard and it has yet to fail to mute or control the sound. What is strange is that the author stated it wouldn't work with Lion, but it does.

I don't know of any other utility that will do the same. Are you sure it isn't installed on your wife's machine? Did you check System Preferences, other?
QUOTE Thanks
bluethunder

I just checked my wife's laptop and I don't see the Arcana Startup preference pane. It must be something else on hers that is killing the sound. But since that works so well for you, where can I find it?

I read something in a magazine a long time ago about how something in the firmware could be changed to get rid of the sound, but I long ago forgot what that was or how to do it or where to get it. I always figured that when I came to want it, I could find it by searching, but I've never been able to turn it up.
QUOTE Thanks
Top-Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluethunder View Post
I use that very utility, and I can tell you that the start up chime will still sound off about 1 out of five times for no apparent reason, even though when I check the setting, the start up volume is down. I just about go through the roof when it does.

We bought my wife a used laptop off of ebay identical to mine that does not have that utility, yet has never sounded off the start up chime even once. I'd love to know what the guy did to it, but I don't know how to find out. I know that there is a better way to shut off the noise than this start up volume control that likes to fail at the most inopportune times. I've looked and looked and can't find it. I'm still looking.

Any other ideas I haven't been able to find?
I am using that small program and so far so good

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It must be something else on hers that is killing the sound. But since that works so well for you, where can I find it?
Go to the link provided in post number 2.
QUOTE Thanks
bluethunder

That's what I already have that fails one out of five times. My wife's laptop does not have that yet hers never sounds off. She apparently has something else that works a lot better. I'm still looking for other ideas.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Are you using Lion? As I said above, the author states it does not work with Lion although it is working OK for me on two machines.
QUOTE Thanks
bluethunder

Neither my wife nor I have Lion. We both have 10.6.8.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

It should work OK with Snow Leopard. There must be something else going on that's causing it to fail like that - even intermittently.
QUOTE Thanks
bluethunder

Should, but doesn't. How can I go about diagnosing it?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My camera has stopped working. | Mail problem »