New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Safari loading my Windows Bookmarks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ZoNoMo

ZoNoMo is on a distinguished road

I think I screwed up and I cant un-screw this up. I was trying to migrate my contacts and calendar from my Windows Exchange environment to my MCP using iCloud (It never worked) but somehow, I think it copied over my IE Bookmarks into my Safari Bookmark file.

So now when i load Safari, I gets over a hundred pages on tabs loading at the same time during startup. I tried to delete the bookmark.plist file and that only seemed to work once. Then the next time I loaded, they were all back. Can someone help? Thanks.
ZNM
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

First, make a backup of all your data. Use Time Machine.

Next, you will need to unhide your user library folder in order to try to get rid of those bookmarks. Open Terminal and type in the following command and then press enter:

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

Log off and log on. That will reset the Finder.

From the Finder, navigate to:

/Users/your name/Library/Caches/Metadata/Safari/Bookmarks/

Move the folder "Bookmarks" to your desktop or to the Trash - but don't empty the Trash yet. The above action will remove the bookmarks from the cache. Go ahead and delete the bookmarks plist file again while you're at it.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoNoMo View Post
So now when i load Safari, I gets over a hundred pages on tabs loading at the same time during startup.
This could be as simple as a setting in Safari's preferences. Go to Safari > Preferences > General > New windows open with. What is the value? If it's not one the first five (the ones above the divider), change it to one of those. Make the appropriate changes for new tabs as well if the setting is wrong.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
ZoNoMo

ZoNoMo is on a distinguished road

this is getting ridiculous. I have tried everything but these bookmarks and tabs opening at startup keep reoccurring. I went into the metadata/Safar and can see the Bookmarks and history. I'll delete the entire bookmarks folder, relaunch safari and watch a bunch of new bookmarks (the ones from my Windows PC) reappear. There MUST be some setting that is causing Safari to point to another file online. is iCloud causing this? I tried "resetting safar", i tried the simple fix as noted above. This is really frustrating and its not easy to fix. there MUST be a fix to this....
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iChat | Change audio output »