New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

iChat

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

becklock

becklock is on a distinguished road

Hi, I have followed some of the threads but I can't find one that has worked for my problem. I hate iChat. Everytime I reboot it comes back. Everytime I thought I have eliminated it, back from the grave it comes. To be fair, I hate all chat, but this one I can't seem to avoid. Setting preferences didn't work. Unchecking boxes didn't work. Taking it to trash didn't work. Can anyone help? Thank you.

P.S. I have Lion 10.7.2
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.1

Can't you just remove the icon from the dock and hide it in a folder in Applications called 'Hated Apps' or something? What's it done wrong?

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010, WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen,ATV2, Samsung LE40 Series 6, Denon AVR1910, Kef HTS 1001.2s and Kube-1 Sub
Denon DCD510AE, Panasonic DMP-BD60,Sky+HD,Logitech Harmony One Advanced. MOTM October 2012.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

First of all make sure that it is not open when you shut down otherwise Lion mat re-open it depending upon how you have Lion set to behave. Second, I suspect that iChat has accidentally been set to open at login. Open the Accounts preference pane and see if it is there in the login items. If so you should be safe removing it.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

Don't blame me if following this advice causes loss of data, a rip in space time allowing dinosaurs to roam free, or your significant other to leave.
QUOTE Thanks
becklock

Thanks, but so far no go. I have checked the accounts preference pane. It is not set to open at login. I have removed it from the dock. I tried to delete the program but a window pops up and says it cannot be deleted or modified as it is needed by OSX. It popped up when I logged on tonight. I have to close it each time. It is not configured as I wiped out all information on any other crappy program it tries to use.

Anybody got anything else to try?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

With iChat back in the dock, right click and click on Options. Is Open at Login checked?

Why do you hate iChat so much? Just curious.
QUOTE Thanks
becklock

To dtravis7,

I put iChat back in the dock, rebooted, and back it came. Along with something called me.com. Could me.com be the problem? I don't even know what me.com is. I have never used it. I have to close it too.

For curiosity's sake. I don't hate iChat as a chatting program. I hate all chat programs. I go to great lengths to not use them. I have to do a lot of work on my computer. I also do all of my bills on the computer. I use it for all appointments. I write maybe one or two checks a year if I am forced to. And every time Yahoo or some other group decides to redo their process the messenger service pops back up. I eliminate it and go on. I have a problem with relatives who have no jobs and surf the internet all day "finding" me. Then they interrupt my work and don't seem to understand I don't want to "chat" with them. If they want to talk to me they can call, or email, I don't care, but don't "chat" me.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Did you RIGHT click on the iChat icon in the Dock and do what I said? Options and uncheck Open at Login if it's checked?
Attached Images
File Type: png ichat2.png (170.5 KB, 6 views)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 2nd Monitor question | Safari loading my Windows Bookmarks »