New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

What's my admin password???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TexasCubsFan

TexasCubsFan is on a distinguished road

Hello all,
Sorry for this basic question.
I just switched to Mac from PC. This is my first iMac with Lion.
I am trying to install Microsoft Office for Mac and the Installer is asking for a password.
I don't have an admin password - none is required to boot up.
I have tried clicking with no password, "password", "admin", "administrator", my iTunes password.

I though Macs were supposed to be hassle free?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCubsFan View Post

No one (as far as I know) said ANY computer is "hassle free"!!!

Many times it's the users that make things complicated as well...as in "user error"! Admin passwords just don't make themselves up out of thin air!

Is this a brand new computer...or one that is "new" to you? If it's a "new to you" computer...the previous owner may have set up an admin password.

Have you tried entering no password (leave it blank)?

HTH,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
TexasCubsFan

TexasCubsFan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
No one (as far as I know) said ANY computer is "hassle free"!!!

Many times it's the users that make things complicated as well...as in "user error"! Admin passwords just don't make themselves up out of thin air!

Is this a brand new computer...or one that is "new" to you? If it's a "new to you" computer...the previous owner may have set up an admin password.

Have you tried entering no password (leave it blank)?

HTH,

- Nick
Brand new.
I tried no password.
I know it will never be hassle free - just frustrated that the first thing I try to do out of the box is a stopper.
Thanks for looking at my post. And trying to respond
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

If this is the default account (the one setup during your first boot), it's your user password.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCubsFan View Post

There's a certain amount of 'know-how' required for any tool you want to use - that is as true for a hammer as it is for a computer. In this case - it's fundamental - you need to know and remember your admin password. Once you get it sorted - make sure it's something you cannot forget.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

To add to what "Vansmith" mentioned.

When you initially setup you computer (the very first time you booted it)...you had to enter a bunch of into. During that process you setup your "default/admin" account (like Vansmith mentioned)...and if you setup a password during this process...then that is the password that you need to use when installing software.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
blairtechguy

blairtechguy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 Xeon 6gb DDR2 1TB OSX Server

I keep this on hand in a doc, this will allow you to reset the admin password:

Boot into single user mode (press Command-S at power on) at the command prompt type in the following press enter after each line:

Code:
Username$ fsck -fy
Username$ mount -uw /
Username$ launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist
Username$ dscl . -passwd /Users/username password
Replacing username with the targeted user and password with the desired password.

Reboot the machine.

Blair Technology Group - Mac System Administrator
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 3rd imac in 5 wks, sound issues docs blank | Changing Last Opened Date on Mac X Lion »