New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

New Hard Drive - MBP 2007

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

brokenflea

brokenflea is on a distinguished road

Hello Everyone,

I've searched google, etc. and some other online communities but couldn't find the answer i was looking for, hence my post.

Applecare expired on my MBP this year. Last week my hard drive started making a clicking sound so i've backed up my data and purchased a 7200 rpm seagate internal drive. With instructions from iFixit I was able to get the new drive installed in the MBP.

The DVD's I had received with my MBP were the grey (2-set) tiger installed dvd's and a upgrade Leopard DVD.

Doesn't matter what DVD i boot off of, after choosing my language, I get the "tiger/leopard cannot be installed on this hard drive". I've made sure that the hard drive was partitioned with the GUID partition scheme.

From reading several posts I believe i need a retail installer (macine independent?) DVD to install OSX on my new hard drive.

I was going to purchase the Snow Leopard DVD installer from the apple store but wanted to post here to make sure that would work before spending $30.00 on something that would put me in the same boat.
Also looking at the product page of Snow Leopard

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

i'm kind of leery with the statement:

Code:
Upgrade from Mac OS X Leopard with Snow Leopard, a simpler, more powerful, and more refined version of Mac OS X
does the above basically mean , i can only upgrade and not perform an new install on a new drive ?

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Weird "ding dong"/shooting star notification sound | iphoto settings »