New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

sluggish since updating to LION-really frustrating

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

trellaine

trellaine is on a distinguished road

My iMac bought mid 2oo7 with 2.4 duo core processor and 4gb of memory.

I did an update to Lion and ever since my Mac runs very sluggish. Its really frustrating to moving backwards it seems.

I thought there would be improvements.

I should be able to run Lion with these specs seemleesly shouldn't i?

I thought about maybe a clean install would help? But it really is a pain in the you know what.

Is that my only option or do I need a faster machine?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Your 2007 iMac must be a Core 2 Duo otherwise you would not have been able to install Lion on it. And yes, a clean install will likely help. Make sure you back everything up first - use Time Machine. During the clean install, you can use your Time Machine restore to restore your apps and settings.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

I agree with chscag that a clean install will help.
Before you installed Lion did you do a Repair Permissions via Dish Utility ?? If not bc some permissions are screwed up when Lion was installed it would of been a mess.
back up and clean install

Cheers

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
trellaine

I did repari permissions before install for the reason you mentioned clean install will be a pain

Can I go back to Snow Leopard?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine View Post
I did repari permissions before install for the reason you mentioned clean install will be a pain

Can I go back to Snow Leopard?
Sure. Just restore from the backup you had made prior to installing Lion.

(you did make a backup, didn't you?)

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
trellaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
I agree with chscag that a clean install will help.
Before you installed Lion did you do a Repair Permissions via Dish Utility ?? If not bc some permissions are screwed up when Lion was installed it would of been a mess.
back up and clean install

Cheers
Can anyone point me to a an easy to follow guide to do a clean install of LION?

I have finished backing up with Time Machine now.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Can anyone point me to a an easy to follow guide to do a clean install of LION?
Mashable does a guide you can find here

Cheers

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Is that a 20" or 24" iMac? I own the 20" 2007 2.4Ghz with 4GB Ram. I did a Clean install and Lion is great here.
QUOTE Thanks
Chilbear

Chilbear is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5

Can we assume you did a FULL backup, not incremental backup using TM? If the full backup was done then you can wipe the drive and do the re-install of Lion from the Lion installer. After the install, you can then pull down your files from the TM backup.

Myself, I get the system up to date before I pull the files back from TM.
QUOTE Thanks
trellaine

Mmmm I am assuming a full back up via time machine.
And yes i have the 20" iMac.

I am currently downloading Lion again and going to burn the disc.

Then wipe out the hdd.

Then restore with Lion?
Then use time machine to get everything back? Will my settings etc be restored too using time machine or just files?
Thanks everyone.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:

Then restore with Lion?
Then use time machine to get everything back? Will my settings etc be restored too using time machine or just files?
Thanks everyone.
Yes then restore with Lion and you can use Migration Assistant to get all your settings and files/folders back.

Cheers

MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
shanlon

shanlon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 27" 2011 iMac // 12GB RAM // 1TB HDD // 6770MB 512

You can also add a Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid Solid State drive as well, it speeds up performance of the 2007 20" iMac tremendously. I just installed on for someone this weekend, takes a bit of tinkering skill of course

15" 2010 Macbook Pro / i5 // 8GB RAM // 128GB SSD
Late 2009 Mac Mini // Snow Leopard Server
Drobo FS - 9.02TB
iPhone 4 16GB
QUOTE Thanks
trellaine

Grrr what have I done wrong ? I downloaded lion, grabbed the dmg file from show contents. I copied/pasted to my desktop .

I opened disk utility dragged the dmg file to the left side. Burned. Everything seemed fine.

Inserted disc.

Shutdown iMac .

Powered on. Held "c" but the Mac doesn't boot up to disk/lion.

what have I done wrong

Thank u
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

What happened when you first inserted the disk ?? Did it bring you to the Lion Installer window? This is one way to know if the disk has been burnt properly.
Restart the Mac and see if the disk starts up and brings you too the Lion Installer window. You might have to burn it again or do as i have done and put it on a thumb drive.

Cheers

MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
trellaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
What happened when you first inserted the disk ?? Did it bring you to the Lion Installer window? This is one way to know if the disk has been burnt properly.
Restart the Mac and see if the disk starts up and brings you too the Lion Installer window. You might have to burn it again or do as i have done and put it on a thumb drive.

Cheers
Thanks for your prompt reply!

When I powered up and pressed C until I saw the gear. Let go of C. I continued to hear the hdd working and only saw the spinning gear. Should i leave it for 5-10 minutes for it to boot up from DVD ? If I boot up to current system I do see the DVD (Mac osx install esd) on my desktop.

Thank u
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Internet Keeps Disconnecting | help with apple script »