Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   OS X - Operating System (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/)
-   -   High CPU Usage (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/256007-high-cpu-usage.html)

farshadavocate 11-03-2011 03:01 PM

High CPU Usage

4 Attachment(s)
I had High CPU usage problem. I uninstalled unnecessary soft. cleaned Desktop, SMC and PRAM, Hardware check on restart, Disk repair and Disk permission repair, shut all unnecessary process down such as networks, sharings ...and my MacBook pro 10.6.8 Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Memory 4 GB was working for 10 days. But again I have the same problem.
I captured some screenshot from Activity Mon. on both normal situation and High CPU usage. The main difference is in Kernel_Task which amazingly is using %176 CPU in this situation, while in normal situation is %2.5.
I would really appreciate if somone can tell me how can I solve this problem. In this situation Mac works so slowly, mouse does not move and I have to shut down. Mac heat is not so much but fan runs #6500 and no more possible working. take a look at screenshots and help
Thanks

pigoo3 11-03-2011 03:09 PM

What programs do you usually run? Do you play any online games?

- Nick

vansmith 11-03-2011 03:30 PM

The culprit here is the kernel task (by the way, you can sort by CPU usage by clicking the title of the column - might be more helpful). This can be caused by a variety of things - everything from browser plugins to peripherals can cause this. Unplug all your peripherals and reboot. If that works, go about your day without any plugged in. If the problem doesn't come back, you can assume it's a peripheral. If it does, note what happens right before it occurs again (what software you had open and what you recently opened).

McBie 11-03-2011 03:34 PM

My suggestion is as follows.
In activity Monitor, select " All processes " in the top right hand corner, sort on the column " % CPU " and send us that single screen shot.
Have a look at the spotlight icon and see if there is a little dot flashing inside the magnifying glass.

Cheers ... McBie

farshadavocate 11-03-2011 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigoo3 (Post 1320678)
What programs do you usually run? Do you play any online games?

- Nick

Hi Nick
This Mac is not connected to internet. I mainly edit with Final Cut Pro7 and Adobe Premier Pro and Photoshop CS5, but even sometimes with no program running, it may happen. normally I run 1 program at a time. I tried different situations regarding programs but nothing changed.
Thanks

farshadavocate 11-03-2011 04:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by McBie (Post 1320694)
My suggestion is as follows.
In activity Monitor, select " All processes " in the top right hand corner, sort on the column " % CPU " and send us that single screen shot.
Have a look at the spotlight icon and see if there is a little dot flashing inside the magnifying glass.

Cheers ... McBie

This is a new screen shot. of course not in high CPU usage. No flashing dot in spotlight.

farshadavocate 11-03-2011 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vansmith (Post 1320690)
The culprit here is the kernel task (by the way, you can sort by CPU usage by clicking the title of the column - might be more helpful). This can be caused by a variety of things - everything from browser plugins to peripherals can cause this. Unplug all your peripherals and reboot. If that works, go about your day without any plugged in. If the problem doesn't come back, you can assume it's a peripheral. If it does, note what happens right before it occurs again (what software you had open and what you recently opened).

A 1.5 TB. Seegate HD is connected to my Mac, where I save all clips, rendered files, Cach media files, rushs and all other media. about 1 TB is used. Mac HD cap. about 60 GB is used. Is it possible all these problems because of a EX. Drive!!!

farshadavocate 11-03-2011 04:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by farshadavocate (Post 1320706)
This is a new screen shot. of course not in high CPU usage. No flashing dot in spotlight.

Maybe another helpfull screen shot while Mac burnning a DVD with Adobe Encore. although high CPU is used and CPU temp #50, fans run #2000.

gsahli 11-03-2011 05:20 PM

Also use the Console and read the logs. Look for anything that is repeating over and over. Paste it here if there is.

vansmith 11-03-2011 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farshadavocate (Post 1320710)
A 1.5 TB. Seegate HD is connected to my Mac, where I save all clips, rendered files, Cach media files, rushs and all other media. about 1 TB is used. Mac HD cap. about 60 GB is used. Is it possible all these problems because of a EX. Drive!!!

It's possible - anything is with kernel issues. The kernel is like the brain of the operating system - many many things depend on it. It controls the hardware and most (if not all) system level software interacts with it. This is why nailing down a kernel issue is hard.

The Encore CPU usage isn't surprising. In fact, I'd be surprised if it was the opposite.

Wait, you said that there was a flashing dot in the Spotlight menubar icon. The flashing dot means that Spotlight is indexing which is very CPU intensive. The Spotlight process though is called mds. It's possible though that if the files on the external change regularly, Spotlight needs to "keep up" by reindexing it. How often does Spotlight reindex?

farshadavocate 11-03-2011 05:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by farshadavocate (Post 1320730)
Maybe another helpfull screen shot while Mac burnning a DVD with Adobe Encore. although high CPU is used and CPU temp #50, fans run #2000.

The last screen shot which might be more helpfull is the one right at the moment of jumping CPU.

farshadavocate 11-03-2011 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vansmith (Post 1320746)
It's possible - anything is with kernel issues. The kernel is like the brain of the operating system - many many things depend on it. It controls the hardware and most (if not all) system level software interacts with it. This is why nailing down a kernel issue is hard.

The Encore CPU usage isn't surprising. In fact, I'd be surprised if it was the opposite.

Wait, you said that there was a flashing dot in the Spotlight menubar icon. The flashing dot means that Spotlight is indexing which is very CPU intensive. The Spotlight process though is called mds. It's possible though that if the files on the external change regularly, Spotlight needs to "keep up" by reindexing it. How often does Spotlight reindex?

Sorry, I wrote NO flashing dot in spotlight...

farshadavocate 11-03-2011 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farshadavocate (Post 1320763)
Sorry, I wrote no flashing dot in spotlight...

Consol message is attached. I found lots of errores. is it normal?

farshadavocate 11-03-2011 08:08 PM

Console mes.

vansmith 11-03-2011 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farshadavocate (Post 1320763)
Sorry, I wrote no flashing dot in spotlight...

Whoops, my bad. That makes sense though given the spotlight process.

What kinds of errors did you see in the Console? You can probably ignore some.