New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Mac os x cannot be installed on this computer

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Matt1515

Matt1515 is on a distinguished road

Hi, I am looking to sell my iMac 2007 so I tried wiping everything off it,, I put the mac os x disk in to wipe it through that. So I used disk utility to wipe my hard drive. Then I restarted my computer but it comes up with a flashing folder with a question mark, so I put the mac os x disk back in and It says "this software cannot be installed on this computer, please help, thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1515 View Post
Hi, I am looking to sell my iMac 2007 so I tried wiping everything off it,, I put the mac os x disk in to wipe it through that. So I used disk utility to wipe my hard drive. Then I restarted my computer but it comes up with a flashing folder with a question mark, so I put the mac os x disk back in and It says "this software cannot be installed on this computer, please help, thanks.
It sounds like you don't have a valid OS disk for the machine.

You have to either have a retail copy (generally Black) or if one of the Gray OS disks it has to be the same model as these are machine specific.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
shadco

shadco is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.0 I7, Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz 15, Macbook 2.16Ghz, Imac 3.2GHz 21.5, Macbook Pro 13 2.23Ghz

make sure the partition you are trying to install to is in good shape with Disk Utility

Shad
Help is on the way a government team of experts Is a'rushin' to your aid... -- Stephen Stills
08 MB, 08 MBP, 010 MBP, 010 Imac, 011 MBP
QUOTE Thanks
Matt1515

I have checked that I have got the right disk and I think it is, it is version 10.5.2 and the apple website says that's the right one for iMac 2007, and it is a grey cD
QUOTE Thanks
Matt1515

Thanks for the quick replies, and how do I make sure that the partition is good??
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
I have checked that I have got the right disk and I think it is, it is version 10.5.2 and the apple website says that's the right one for iMac 2007, and it is a grey cD
Did this gray/silver Mac OS disk come with this computer originally (when new)? If not...then it won't work...the gray disks are model specific.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Matt1515

I bought it off a top rated seller on eBay and the cDs came with it, is there no other way of getting it working then, other than getting another mac os x cd
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I bought it off a top rated seller on eBay and the cDs came with it, is there no other way of getting it working then, other than getting another mac os x cd
It means nothing that you purchased this computer from a "top rated seller on e-Bay"...in fact (since you didn't buy this computer brand new)...this makes it even more possible that the gray disks you have are NOT for your computer.

If you inserted the gray disk into your computer...held down the "C" key to get the computer to boot from the disk...and the computer says that it can't boot from this CD/DVD...then it's the wrong disk for this computer...or the disk is damaged in some way.

Your best bet...and least expense...is to purchase a retail Mac OS 10.6 install DVD:

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Matt1515

Thanks nick but don't It need to be 10.4.10 version as my computer is a 2007 version like it says on the apple store??
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
By the way...I just checked...and 2007 iMac's DID NOT ship with OS 10.5.2...they shipped with an OS version between 10.4.7 - 10.4.10 (depending on the model).

This verify's that the gray 10.5.2 disk you have is NOT for your computer.

- Nick

p.s. This assumes that you are correctly identifying your computer as a "2007 iMac". OS 10.5.2 did ship with early 2008 model iMacs.

QUOTE Thanks
Matt1515

Also my mac does boot with the CD in it and it asks me to select a language but then it says it cannot be installed on this computer
QUOTE Thanks
Matt1515

But where can I buy a 10.4.7 disk?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Thanks nick but don't It need to be 10.4.10 version as my computer is a 2007 version like it says on the apple store??
Nope. OS 10.4.10 may have been the OS version that originally shipped with your computer...but haven't you ever heard of folks upgrading their OS to a newer version??

If your iMac has a core 2 duo processor (which I think it does)...it can run the latest Mac OS version...10.7.2 "Lion".

So you can run any OS version from 10.4.10 and beyond (10.5.x, 10.6.x, 10.7.x)...your choice.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
But where can I buy a 10.4.7 disk?
Why would you want to purchase an OS 10.4.7 disk...when you just said that the Apple website says that it needs OS 10.4.10???

Getting an older OS version (10.4.7) than your Mac requires (10.4.10) won't work!!!

You haven't told us the exact model iMac you have...so there's no point in going futher until we know.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Matt1515

Okay sorry, but I thort I need mac os x before installing lion because I have a snow leopard CD and that says that I need to have mac os x installed before installing leopard, and my iMac model is A1224, thanks again for all your help guys.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Mail Not Receiving Emails, and Sent Messages from today have disappeared! | "Could not unmount disk" - Trying to clean install lion. »