New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Firewire hard drives not detected

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jocalmu

Jocalmu is on a distinguished road

My Dual 2.66 Mac Pro has stopped detecting my external hard drives. Any advice out there?
QUOTE Thanks
troverman

troverman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mid 09 MacBook Pro 15 2.8ghz, 512MB nVidia, 7200RPM HD

I've had this problem with a drive I use for Time Machine. It seems the connection between the cable and the device or the cable and my computer seem to be the problem. The FW800 cable I have is really bulky and the connection seems far less secure than a USB. I used to use a FW400 connection and never had a problem...better cable and plug design. Since getting my unibody MBP the FW400 port is gone...forced to use FW800 or USB.

My advice...try a different cable.
QUOTE Thanks
Jocalmu

Jocalmu is on a distinguished road

Thanks. Mine isn't showing either. Same here with the 800 plugged to the time machine drive. Also have a Lacie hooked up through 400. No dice.
QUOTE Thanks
troverman

troverman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mid 09 MacBook Pro 15 2.8ghz, 512MB nVidia, 7200RPM HD

I never had a problem using 400, but lots of problems on 800. I paid close to $40 for the 800 cable too, so not happy it rarely works. I just use a USB 2.0 cord and it always works fine.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Search Progress Indicator - Lion | Just upgraded my iMAC to Lion »