New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Add printer by IP address

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

llewis

llewis is on a distinguished road

Just got a MacBook Pro with OS X 10.7 here in the office. Using a wireless network, the Pro does not see our networked office multifunction copier which serves as our primary printer. I want to add the printer using the IP address, but there is no option to do so even though the 10.7 instructions say there should be.

Anyone else have this problem?
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I always connect the printer/scanner up via USB first then run software update to make sure I have the latest drivers.
Open system preferences and look under printers/scanners and see if the model is there.
Then disconnect the USB and connect ethernet to router or enable wireless which ever
you use and try and print a test page,
It would be easier if you list how its networked along with brand and model.
Also brand and model of router/modem.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewis View Post
I want to add the printer using the IP address, but there is no option to do so even though the 10.7 instructions say there should be.
It's there when you try to manually add a printer. Go to System Preferences > Print & Scan > click + to add a printer > IP.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
llewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
It's there when you try to manually add a printer. Go to System Preferences > Print & Scan > click + to add a printer > IP.
That's my problem. When I go to Print & Scan and hit the plus sign, my only option is to select from the printers that the Mac sees, there are no additional buttons where you would expect a row of task buttons to be, ie, no default button, no ip button, etc.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

You could always use the CUPS web interface to configure your printer. In a browser, navigate to localhost:631. Go to Administration and use that to add your printer. When you click "Add Printer" and are asked for login credentials, enter your OS X user name and password.

The web interface manages the same printers that the System Preferences pane does so don't worry about consistency. Hopefully, if you configure it in the CUPS web interface successfully, it will show up in the pref pane fully configured.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewis View Post
That's my problem. When I go to Print & Scan and hit the plus sign, my only option is to select from the printers that the Mac sees, there are no additional buttons
I'd be worried about what else in my Lion Install is messed up (you may need to reinstall)!

To customize the add printer dialog:
right+click or control+click in the row of icons in the toolbar and choose Customize..., select the Advanced, or IP icon, etc, and drag it to your toolbar and then click Done to add it.
QUOTE Thanks
llewis

To customize the add printer dialog:
right+click or control+click in the row of icons in the toolbar and choose Customize..., select the Advanced, or IP icon, etc, and drag it to your toolbar and then click Done to add it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, ctrl+click opened the menu right up.
QUOTE Thanks
AlliOop

AlliOop is on a distinguished road

I found this worked with my problem:

Go to System Preferences>Print & Scan. Just above the list of printers, where it says "Printers," Right-click (hold Control+click) in that space and it should bring up the option to Reset Printing System. Select that and it will give you a warning and chance to cancel. Procede and voila!

This will remove all your printers, but worth it! When I did it, I was able to add any printers as normal, without the error at all.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Shared Machine Access | Can't Start Up »