New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Move home folder to seperate partition

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

indykid

indykid is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini G4 1.25ghz 1gb Ram

Well the title says it all really,

Just installed Tiger, have decided to be organised and made a "system" partition for OS and apps and a "data" partition for documents & data etc. So I need to move my home folder to the data partition.

I tried changing the home path in netinfo manager as suggested on one site, but it didn't work?! It just created a new user folder called "shared" instead?!
QUOTE Thanks
indykid

Ok...an update! I've had some success already

What I did was copy my User's HOME folder to the "data" partition, then used netinfo to change my home folder's path to the place on the 2nd partition where I pasted my home folder. I logged out, and back in! Voila! It worked!

Not 100% sure if I can safely trash the now redundant copy of my user folder on my "system" partition - anyone know the situation on this?
QUOTE Thanks
indykid

GRRR!!!!...this hasn't worked too well after all! The desktop didn't relocate with the rest of the home folder.

I was getting a blank desktop. Stuff was downloading to the desktop on the system partition, but the desktop being displayed was the empty one on the 2nd partition!

Any help, anyone, please?!
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

I would imaging that you would have trouble modifying a logged in user. all of this moving and path modifyinng should be done as root.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Downloaded programs open w/ quicktime?!?! | OS X hates me.... »